• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short Arbor

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mean Gene

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Helo, this is a follow up on a problem I was having with my Pietta1860 about a year ago, maybe more.
It turned out that my arbor was short or the hole was drilled to deep, this was causing me to ruin wedge pins like they were disposable, beating them and even caused a couple to bend.
Some one suggested placing the barrel assy on the arbor then turning it to one side and checking how much it overlapped the frame, not the best description but it's the best I can do.
Shiming the arbor helped, this time the wedge was undamaged and the gun shot more accurately, my shims are small washers stacked and superglue together.
Now I need to figure out how to get epoxy down in the hole so I can glue the washers/shims down inside, any suggestions would be welcome, thank you.

First make a solid spacer or pox the washers together. Put a drop of poxy on a rod and put it in the bottom then put the spacer in. Try not to put so much poxy in that it squeezes out causing it to emproach above the spacer. Grease up the arbor and put it together and let set. Pull apart and clean any excess with picks or spin some steel wool on rod with drill.
If the spacing is not too much you can use a tight hard wire ring that you press in. The friction will hold it but will still be able to use a hook to pull it out should you need to improve it later.

I'd just drill and tap the end of the arbor, screw in a short round head machine screw and file to the correct length.

Best regards,

Back