• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shopping for a finished Flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 Frontier Pedersolis. Cap and flint. Love them both. .50 cal.
RanchRoper,
I may end up with one of the Pedersoli rifles. I'm not fond of the idea of purchasing something "sight unseen", but being production rifles, I'm sure they're built to "fit most". I've done my share of research on these rifles and I'm not finding any serious issues, as far as weapon functions. I would like to lay my hands on one of the Deluxe models with the nicer wood stocks. :cool:

muzzleloading rifles are very much like women. you have to tune them to fit you. many little things you can do to get them to run to satisfaction. i have found that tweaking to be the thing that makes them all mine.
also gives one the ability to fine tune almost any that you try out. the things learned are of great satisfaction.
applies to guns too!:D

I bought both sight unseen. Very pleased with them. They are shooters. Caplock is walnut. Flinter is maple. 3D668F02-3A05-4DF0-88EE-F6D5689A3D29.jpeg
Flintlock at 50 yds36BF833F-5FCF-478E-88F8-2807E743EAF3.jpeg

deerstalkert,
If you're making that comparison, I'd walk away before I get in too deep. 🤣
If it has tits or tires, you're gonna have problems with it. True! :rolleyes:
I'd like to think muzzleloaders are waaay less complicated. 🤔

deerstalkert,
If you're making that comparison, I'd walk away before I get in too deep. 🤣
If it has tits or tires, you're gonna have problems with it. True! :rolleyes:
I'd like to think muzzleloaders are waaay less complicated. 🤔
you may like to think so but in 60+ years i have found it only gets more complicated. that is if you let it. not as complicated as suppository reloading which is why all my presses etc are gathering dust and rust. the simplicity of muzzleloading just makes this old man grin. the tweaking of a stubborn lock/vent/flint/powder charge/patch thickness/trigger pull/muzzle crown/rifling pitch is sooooooooo much less frustrating! :oops:

If you're really having bad feelings about that gun, then find another. From what I've heard, the Pedersoli locks are pretty decent. Some of the newer kits from reputable makers like Chambers & Kibler can be converted back and forth from Flintlock to caplock.

Caps are really scarce right now. I'm glad I switched to flint. Guns are all different. They like what they like. One flinter might not fire unless you load it with something inserted in the touch hole. Another might not fire if you do. That's part of the fun of it all, experimentation. Taking 200-year-old technology and making it hit its mark at 25, 50, and 100, or more yards.

Walt

By the way, according to a recent interview with barrel maker, Bobby Hoyt, he prefers to hunt with a 54 as it has more "knock down" power. However, his favorite game animal is Elk!

Here's another issue... 🤔 Bass Pro Shops/Cabelas has both the Pedersoli Kentucky and Blue Ridge rifles in stock....but they're both flintlocks. :rolleyes: I would like to think a brand new flintlock rifle would not have any issues, but I'm currently at "2 strikes" with flintlocks. So, I'm a little "gun shy" at this point and afraid to "pull the trigger" on another flint.

Does anyone own either of these rifles to give me a push, one way or the other?
Flints work fine if they didn’t this forum may not exist. Sounds to me like you were trying to please your friend by taking a bad build off his hands. There’s plenty of good builders that sell sweets flintlocks on this forum. By American

Flints work fine if they didn’t this forum may not exist. Sounds to me like you were trying to please your friend by taking a bad build off his hands. There’s plenty of good builders that sell sweets flintlocks on this forum. By American
Pathfinder is one he’s built several nice flintlocks since I joined the forum. I assume forum members have purchased them and I have not seen anything negative just rave reviews. Once a flintlock is shooting they shoot all the time. I have too many flintlocks and everyone shoots and shoots. Buy from a forum builder and you won’t have a problem provided he is a respected builder.

Flintlocks are like any other 'mechanical" item. The better it is made, the better it will work and the longer it will function. That being said, there is a lot more going on with a flinter than a cap lock(IMHO)A decent cap lock is almost a sure thing for igntion (almost). Good nipple, clear passage, Hammer lined up, cap, boom! Flinter needs a good flint, proper edge on the flint, situated in the jaws of the cock properly, flash hole at proper location, clear passage, frizzen hardened properly, frizzen aligned and sitting properly, pan the right angle & depth , OMG any combination of which can make it "unreliable" so, there is more to be aware of and work with on a Flinter (IMHO). Then there is the weather! Don't get me started on that! ; )

Sorry you had such frustrations. That can ruin an outing, having a gun that just won’t function properly will leave a bad taste in your mouth for sure.

I tell you what…You find a flintlock with a properly located flash hole and a nicely tuned, or even nicely functioning, lock…you’ll never go percussion again.

I started my flintlock travels with a Brown Bess Carbine. I hunted upland game and waterfowl exclusively with it for 2 years…It was a fun adventure, very nuanced education; been shooting flintlocks now for most of 27 years.
I have many percs..
They live in the closet
And are very lonely 🙁 🥺

Back