• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waksupi

Ric Carter
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly (Summer 2017, Vol. 53, #2) “A Shooting Match at HBC’s Moose Factory,” describing people shooting offhand with smoothbores.

Note that the Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) called some of their early posts “factories,” and Moose Factory was near the south end of James Bay. The employees of Moose Factory celebrated St. George’s Day (April 23rd) with a shooting match.

“The target was placed on the ice in the river and each man had three shots at one hundred and fifty yards or perhaps farther. Some remarkably good shooting was done. It was a test of skill and good eyesight, for rarely nowadays does one see shooting with the smoothbore as was displayed at that period [late 19th century]. The writer has seen a great deal of native shooting, and it can be affirmed that those who have never handled a rifled firearm did equally as good as and sometimes better than those who were accustomed to using the .44 and the .38-55 Winchester.”
“And not only were those old-timers using the smoothbore muzzle-loader, but also black powder, bullets or ball made from the lead of tea chests (with no tin added), and the guns were fired right off the shoulder with no rests, and yet “bull’s-eyes” were not infrequent and “magpies” quite common. It was only the green hands who missed the target altogether.”

I remember reading that article. Thanks for reminding us of it.

The concentric circles from the center of a target are bull, inner, magpie, and outer.

This is new information to me, and much appreciated. I had forgotten the bit about the "magpies," but I do now recall being puzzled. Now we know!

Another related old-time expression I read once was "Dick Nailer," meaning something that is maybe not perfect, but is very good or very well done. A fellow at an old-time shooting match in Ohio made a shot that didn't cut the X center, but was very near it. The man downrange checking the targets said, "it ain't plumb center, but it's a Dick Nailer!"

We ought to revive some of those old expressions.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back