• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the Pietta Buntline

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my new 12" Pietta "Buntline" out for it's first range trip today, with the sling I made from a Hawken sling.

20221115_110651.jpg

It hangs conveniently if you are looking to just walk around with it, I primarily wanted to use it as a "soft stock " which worked pretty well

20221115_110606.jpg

I vinegar bathed it and it goes nicely with my other .44 Brassers which I have a 2 holster rig for

20221115_110544.jpg

At about 40ish yards, it was actually hitting low but I think that's from me "dipping " the barrel when pulling the trigger. From a rest it hit pretty much to the sights when I moved in to about 25. I used the 24gr spout with Old Eynsford 3f.

20221115_120007.jpg

20221115_131714.jpg

Not feeling like breaking it down to wipe it out, I used Crisco over the balls and I fired 15 cylinders without a problem . Using Crisco over the ball does the job, it may not be ideal but it keeps the gun running.

This gun is a lot of fun, I feel it almost needs the shoulder stock that Pietta has stopped making , for whatever reason. There's probably no real advantage to a 12" barrel in a stock-less revolver besides sight radius, but I was making easy hits on a reduced silhouette target at 40 yards with no problems.

I've always wanted a Buntline with shoulder stock.
Love that soft stock idea.
I actually bought it in the hope that since Pietta is making these again, they'd bring back the stocks....but then, there not being a cut on the grip frame pretty much tells me there's no hope for a stock

The soft stock works, it keeps the gun stable and it looks kinda cool

I made a terrible quality YouTube video

All my videos are pretty poor, I just use YouTube basically as a video storage site for blackpowder shooting, so I don't have to burn up storage on my phone

Yes does the cylinder bottom out on the frame. So you dont need to use some sort of a bushing to keep the barrel straight
15 cylinders deep , she was still running, so if anything isn't straight or bottoming out, I couldn't tell

I have purchased 5 brand new 2022 Pietta Colt clones this past month and the only issues I've had are two of them were a little tight in the b/c gap , and I had to run a file across the forcing cone of a Pietta Navy to relieve some cylinder rubbing. It otherwise worked but I didn't like how tight it was

I took my new 12" Pietta "Buntline" out for it's first range trip today, with the sling I made from a Hawken sling.

View attachment 175604

It hangs conveniently if you are looking to just walk around with it, I primarily wanted to use it as a "soft stock " which worked pretty well

View attachment 175605
Interesting way to “sling”, the revolver - quite ingenious !
I vinegar bathed it and it goes nicely with my other .44 Brassers which I have a 2 holster rig for

View attachment 175606

At about 40ish yards, it was actually hitting low but I think that's from me "dipping " the barrel when pulling the trigger. From a rest it hit pretty much to the sights when I moved in to about 25. I used the 24gr spout with Old Eynsford 3f.

View attachment 175607

View attachment 175608

Not feeling like breaking it down to wipe it out, I used Crisco over the balls and I fired 15 cylinders without a problem . Using Crisco over the ball does the job, it may not be ideal but it keeps the gun running.

This gun is a lot of fun, I feel it almost needs the shoulder stock that Pietta has stopped making , for whatever reason. There's probably no real advantage to a 12" barrel in a stock-less revolver besides sight radius, but I was making easy hits on a reduced silhouette target at 40 yards with no problems.

Latest posts

Back