• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the original C&B revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there a good case to be made for shooting the originals? I have a few of them, 1851 Colt, 1849, and a 1855 Colt Revolving Carbine. I also have a couple of repro's. Though emotionally, I would like to shoot the originals, I can't bring myself to want to risk damaging them. I'm thinking that pretty much the same shooting experience can be had with a gun 150 years younger, and 1/10 the value. No, they are not so pristine in condition that a few rounds' worth of wear will be noticeable, unless of course I loaded them up with something totally stupid for loads.

On the other hand, I don't hesitate for a minute to shoot an 1858 vintage SxS Purdey double rifle that I have. It just seems that with fixed breech long guns, there are fewer things that can shoot themselves loose or go wrong with them compared to C&B revolvers.

How do others in a similar situation deal with this?

Last edited:
I don’t have an original. Having said that, I share my thoughts. If I had a pristine or antique in very good or better condition I would hesitate to shoot it. If it was average with no significant provenance of historical significance I would shoot it at least a few times. If I wanted to shoot regularly I would get a repro. Light loads only in an original.

I personally would not shoot an original cap and ball revolver, not because of a safety issue, but just to many parts and things to go wrong on a valuable gun. If money was no object, and it is for me, I would fire away and fix/replace as needed. I do hunt with original muskets (1861 Springfield, 1861Colt Special Musket and an M-1842 Harpers Ferry) they are simpler "machines" and far less can go wrong, assuming safe mechanical condition. I would just hate to break a spring or something on an original antique, I couldn't afford to fix it and would be sick about it. So antique muskets/rifles, yes. My original, cartouched Remington New Model Army, no way! Just my way of looking at things.

Depends....I've got two original Starr revolvers, both in mint condition. One .36 navy and one three digit .44 army converted to centerfire cartridge.
Shot both but will never shoot the .36 again. The most common I still shoot.

These old guns are made of what amounts to Ordnance Grade Iron and that gets brittle over time.

I'd be tempted to touch off 6 through it just to say I fired it but burst a cylinder or crack a mainspring and you're -1 piece of history.

Back