• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting The Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When shooting a crosser from the right increase lead as the flame in the pan are being moved away from the flash hole, the opposite applies going the other way as the flame is being forced into the flash hole, unless you are a south paw the reverse is correct.

If your form is correct it should be a negligible difference to shooting a modern shotgun's using standard loads, if you maintain lead and keep the gun moving there should be no change, if you get on target and pull away it's the same, only velocity and distance to target will change lead needed, this is the reason many shooters shooting sporting clays like the whama jama high vel stuff, less to perfect point and shoot.

Last edited:
I’ve never shot a flintlock Fowler and was wondering what, if any, difference there was when shooting flying targets than with a modern shotgun? Thanks.
Make the effort to tune the flint lock for fastest ignition. Keep the flint sharp. Use 4Fg powder in the pan and real black powder. Keep the flash channel clean and there should be negligible difference when shooting flying targets other than just a bit more lead as the speed of the shot is just a bit less.

My one son-in-law is from Whales were there are tight gun regulations. He enjoys being able to shoot trap and go deer hunting. The first time he ever shot a flintlock trade gun he hit a clay bird on a crossing shot. He was AMAZED. First that the gun actually fired and second that he hit the bird. The next year he got me an electric trap for Chrismas.

Latest posts

Back