• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting the Enfield' by David Minshall

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there are still some of the specific rifles used by Team members around in private collections. Original muzzle loading match rifles of the period are still used by some in competition here in the UK, and in International Competition - some of the US Long Range Team have original British match rifles, as do other nations.

David

I got interested in the Gibbs rifle so had a look at the Pedersoli site. Looks like they now have an online store. I think that’s new. I noticed their version has both front and rear adjustable sights for both wind age and elevation. Is it normal for both to be adjustable like that.

Typically original match rifles of the period had elevation adjustment on the rearsight and windage on the foresight, each with vernier scales for precise adjustment.

David

Re: Non-Pedersoli Creedmoor-style rifles - quote -

Hello. The Rigby marked Traditions, it was manufactured in Spain by the artisan A.M.R. (which also manufactured muzzleloader shotguns). Ardesa manufactures a Hawken Match with many brass ornaments and patch box, with a Henry-Creedmore barrel, caliber 0.451, and a 20 inch twist, for 500 grains conical bullets. Greetings from Spain.

Mr Minshall - you noted back in 2018 that your wife actually shot one of these rifles, and example of which is on sale in a LGS for a VERY small amount of money - but the very lightness of it made shooting unpleasant.

From BMF -

Sounds like the Spanish made Creedmoor. This was manufactured by Intermarco, then Ardesa, and now Aral.

It is a reduced size copy of a Rigby match rifle, and was probably aimed at the 100m market, which is popular in Europe. My wife has one of these and it shoots very well.

It is on the light side for long range work. Recoil may be acceptable out to 600 yards with the right load/bullet combination, but it may be somewaht punishing if you are going out to 900 and 1000 yards.

For the longer ranges I would recommend getting some sort of cheek piece. The elevations necessary leave the head with barely any contact on the cheek piece: not good for a consistent head position, nor the neck which will suffer a sort of whip-lash effect if left unsupported.

At short range my wife has been getting good results with 60 grains Swiss #2 (3F), a thin card wad, and the Lyman 475gn bullet #457121PH. The bullet is on the light side though for long range shooting.

Have a look at my Long Range Muzzle Loader web site.

David Minshall

Yes, I comment on the Intermarco/Ardesa ‘Rigby’ and the ’Monk Rigby’ in the page I linked to in my earlier post. A friend also made several Rigby rifles to order - these were direct copies of an original.

My wife switched to a Pedersoli Gibbs for long range and kept the Intermarco for short range, although she no longer shoots.

David

For all I know the Sharpe's Borchardt in no 1 Gibb's Metford might very possibly be taken back by one of the teams. I don't have the rifle but I do have its number in my old Firearms dealers register & I knew where it was .No saying its still with that owner in the UK .I once bought a Gibbs Metford ML in Ohio it went to UK. And just for interest sake I made three 451 & a 38 1 in 18 pitch better suiting ranges up to 300 yards .' Full Match rifles' . One Gordon Gerrard shot the record score in free rifle at the MLAGB Short range on Short Siberia . Written up in the 'Black Powder' magazine as a 'Poor mans full match' , the ' Hawkins Arms' NZ made 1 in 20' pitch barrel. I wedded to a Numrich plug and fitted a Cawnpore made small Enfield style lock .simple mounts, pistol grip of course . Gordon's are the laurels I just got it up . I seem to recall it was a 97 HPS of 100 best ten of 13 usual MLAIC conditions at 100 yards . I also have its number in my Ledger .Once free of the UK I just wrote up the balance of the modest 193 guns I made but of very different ages & national stiles including numbers of British Military Carbines .& muskets (One in the RA collections ) These where good sellers in the US & I am my own good customer . Regards to Mrs Minshall ' Ive sent her many articles if more to David Back . & Dave or Mrs Dorgan .
Rudyard

Hello all,
i shoot a Navy Arms Intermarco ‘Creedmoor Match’. I’m trying to find information from experienced shooters regarding components and loads for bullets less than 400 grains for shooting at ranges 100 - 300 yards (meters).

Dear David. Did you get my article on gun making? I've been rearranging my library, I have BPs going back to 1960 & a few earlier , but in 2007 I had to give up as I had young children & was battling re income . Yet I still see myself as linked .The numbers of my articles &' Nelson Branch' input is very considerable . Going from Margot Bell if little under Haward Marks Or Mr Grear ? but some under Bill Curtis Then lots under David Back & heaps under Mr's Dorgan & some under Peter Jacques ' Under the wide & Stary Sk'y & 'Dissertation the Matchlock ' & the last run was ' A Mountain mans choice '. Considering I was mostly overseas it didn't seem too bad a contribution . Hayward Marks told me " I could rent the Albert Hall ,but I couldn't sing" very encouraging. Bill C used to prattle on about grammar &' must maintain standards' ' But he practically wrote every issue yet complimented me for articles David Back ran & he just made' Ile' into I will but no other alteration " Well he just asked who's been writing your articles ?'.We later got on very well he just couldn't see the wood for the trees . I've written for Muzzle Blasts & Muzzleloader magazine .Lock Stock & barrel out of Gimpe NSW ? maybe Qld .NZ guns, and most NZ journals inc the Search & Rescue Newsletters and our Nelson & Marlborough NZ Antique Arms & Historic BLs Editor for about 18 years .Whether that shows my ability or simply illustrates how few though literate just never think they can provide Copy . Something Ime certain your aware off as an Editor . Ide meant to PM this but cant figure out how to do it on this E gajet .
Regards Rudyard

Dear David. Did you get my article on gun making?
I got the article just before I went away to shoot at Bisley for a couple of days. I will respond shortly, when I have had chance to read it. No need to clutter discussion here with irrelevant information - that I may not see for days or at all. Just use the email address you have. Thanks.

Regards,

David

Hello all,
i shoot a Navy Arms Intermarco ‘Creedmoor Match’. I’m trying to find information from experienced shooters regarding components and loads for bullets less than 400 grains for shooting at ranges 100 - 300 yards (meters).
That’s a very light bullet, of which I have no experience in using. When my wife had one of the Intermarco Creedmoor rifles (a slightly reduced size repro. of a Rigby Match rifle) she used the Lyman mould #451114. This is a multi-groove bullet with a flat nose with weight around 480 grains, if I recall correctly. Charge would likely have been around 70 grains of TPPH (similar to Swiss no. 4 (1.5Fg)). The rifle was sold over 10 years ago.

Loading would have been, powder > tight fitting card wad > wipe bore with damp then dry patch > seat bullet > fire > score 10 > repeat

David

Back