• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the .33cal Hege Siber pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a dandy. I've had mine since 1981. Bought it in Germany to shoot in competition there. It oughta shoot a lot better than 9-ring, with a load it likes.
I recently dragged mine out of the safe where it had hibernated for 29 years (!) and returned it to shooting service: it still shoots as well as ever. One of my fellow Montezuma Muzzleloaders (Bushrod) challenged me to a 'duel' at the last match - he shot his original Manton percussion dueller, and he set the course of fire: 10 shots at the NMLRA pistol bullseye target at ca. 15 yards, with the 'seconds' giving the command to fire and counting seconds to 3; the shot to be fired from the low ready and within the count period, followed by 5 shots at a 12" gong at ca. 25 yards under the same conditions. Sadly (for him!), he did not win.
Scores were: challenger; 90 and all 5 gongs - challenged (me) 95-3X and all 5 gongs. He said his honor was satisfied, but reserved the right to issue a new challenge if he found further cause for offence.
My original load (in Germany) was 8gr. of (I think) RWS 3F (came in 200 gram brown paper bags), H&N swaged .330" RB and tough, thin patch of a linen made for shoe linings (wish I still had some!).
Currently I'm using some of my original supply of the H&N balls with patches of Walmart unstriped ticking (.023") and 10.5gr. Elephant 3F - tight load, but shoots extremely well. I also tried patching with Walmart 'Super Muslin' .015", which works well, also, but no better than the ticking. Also tried some of the Hornady '0' swaged buckshot, which measures .320" and shoots nearly as well with the same loads, but loads much more easily, and the Hornady '00' buck, which is .330" and duplicates the German swaged balls, but is much more perfectly formed. I was also pleased to find that the Hornady buck is not at all hard: since it comes in a 5 lb. box (about 640 balls, in '00'), and costs only a bit over $25 retail, I'm gonna stick with that, when my original German ones are all gone.
Now if I can just find a really good flint dueller...
mhb - Mike

Glad I read this. I have one of these pistols. I tend to be more of a rifle guy and hadn't gotten around to shooting mine. In fact , I was thinking of posting it up for sale. Now maybe I will order up some balls and try it.

plastikosmd said:
Glad I read this. I have one of these pistols. I tend to be more of a rifle guy and hadn't gotten around to shooting mine. In fact , I was thinking of posting it up for sale. Now maybe I will order up some balls and try it.

Well, Sir, I guess if you'd paid $1900 for it, you'd shoot it more.

tac

Don't remember what I paid. Bought it on a whim. Too many other project guns and loads to work up is the issue. Will look for some 00 buck and give it a try

What do you guys like to use as a loading/cleaning rod for this little guy. I have a small coated cleaning rod that is cut down. May just use a wooden dowel to load with with a palm pad, similar to a short starter

I made my loading/cleaning rod from 1/4" brass rod, with a wooden file handle, and a 'short-starter' button in the butt of the handle. The working end is drilled and tapped 8-32 for standard cleaning rod accessories, and I made a jag-type tip for the rod both for loading and wiping the bore when fouled, as well as for cleaning.
mhb - Mike

tac:
$1900?!! I thought they were expensive in 1981 at 1200DM (about $750 at the time). They sure do shoot, though.
mhb - Mike

well I never got around to making the rod yet, but I did shoot it for the first time. I shot it at 50 yards, hands rested but pistol not. I first tried 10g fffg but that was a bit too low, upped it to 20, not bad. Backed it off to 15 and shot 5 into just over 2". I felt that was a good start. I'm sure I can tighten it up a bit esp with working with the sights a bit more.
4bf71872fc45abb747b05b38dd0baefb.jpg

Outstanding! They really will shoot, and no foolin'!
mhb - Mike

Try around 12 grains. And also give 4F powder a try. With the right load, these guns should shoot sub-inch groups at 25 yards.

Back