• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting the 1842 Harpers Ferry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Elk Ridge Mountain, Washington County Maryland
Finally got around to shooting the 1847 dated M42 that was made across the river from me at Harper's Ferry. Bobby Hoyt relined and stretched the barrel for me last Spring. Trying to find a .662 mold in the past year had been a challenge until a NIB one popped up on here for less than a C note recently. I latched onto it and cast some balls, using 60 grains of 2ff Goex I was surprised at hitting a man sized silhouette at 75 yards with some regularity. Just for fun I tried some buck and ball loads and scored some buckshot hits along with the ball. I've come to the conclusion I wouldn't want to be shot at from 75 yards away with a smoothbore. As someone who took pride in their marksmanship I must admit the smoothbore makes it easy to explain misses :thumb:

That's fantastic! I love Harper's Ferry guns.
I would love to see some photos also. Were you firing cartridges or patching the balls?
James

Sorry for the crappy full length picture. The lock picture is much better and says it all. My first shot was at the large orange target and both surprised and impressed me.
20220413_094820.jpg
20220415_174628.jpg
20220415_174016.jpg

Back