• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting system

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HMMMmmmmm...
I find myself with a lot of questions, but also find it an interesting idea, especially for someone like me who is sitting on 3-4,000 Win. 209 primers, AND... I already have one of those gadgets for using shotgun primers in my T/C Hawken..never tried it without powder though. Wondering if it has enough force to work with a 50 cal. ??
Interesting.

Not exactly traditional, but 209s are less expensive and easier to find than percussion caps. I was surprised to see what I perceived as no powder being used.

I believe that was the point of the video, no powder just the 209 primer for indoor range shooting. This may work for me when hunting them dang chipmunks this Spring, definitely would be good practice at minimal cost and lower sound levels so the neighbors wouldn't complain....they already think I'm crazy...just imagine what they'll think when they see me running around with my badger hat and cuss-in out the chipmunk population! :youcrazy:

I can't find anyone who has one of these 209 conversion kits for sale. Do they still make them? If so, who has them? I have 2 or 3 thousand 209 primers left from when I used to re-load shot shells. I sure could get some good from them if I had one of these converters for my rifle.

Billnpatti said:
I can't find anyone who has one of these 209 conversion kits for sale. Do they still make them? If so, who has them? I have 2 or 3 thousand 209 primers left from when I used to re-load shot shells. I sure could get some good from them if I had one of these converters for my rifle.

Warren Custom Outdoors markets the conversion under the Mag-Spark name, and it is a current product.

I suspect a shotgun primer will not produce enough gas to readily push a patch and ball out of a rifle barrel. It would take a much larger volume of gas to maintain pressure in a 30" +/- rifle barrel than in an 8" or so pistol barrel.

All in all, this just look to me like a slower and more costly way to dry fire. On the other hand, you do get some feed back from the target. But you can do the same thing with an air pistol or air rifle.

White Fox

I see it as an alternative to percussion caps which seem to be awfully expensive and getting harder to find. It will also reliably ignite BP substitutes.

On another board someone devised a way to shoot cartridge loads with primer only and what they called gluelits. They would cast with hot glue in bullet moulds and load them and shoot them. Strong enough to kill rodents up close or shoot through a kitchen cabinet.

209 primer shooting would probably work OK with the 50 cal hard rubber balls that Roundball has tested and used for target practice at shorter ranges. They can also be reused. I would bet the patches could also be reused. I noticed that there didn't appear to be any lube on the patches. That would have helped in loading.

Yeah I noticed how he really pounded to seat the balls, I try and be firm but gentle with mine so as not to deform them! My master has taught me well...thanks Dutch! :v

They've been selling that 209 primer on ebay for years. guys i know that tried it had a hell of a time getting the caps out after being fired

I did buy one over a year ago but as of yet haven't tried it out...let you know if'n them 209ers git stuck....been shoot'n the flintlock all year and have not had time to play with my caplock! Beside, the flintlock has been so dependable may never go back to the caplock...maybe I'll just switch it over when my barrel gets done by R. Hoyt! :v

I've seen these things before but was not thrilled about having to unscrew that tiny cap, especially if I were in the field. Is it not possible/practical to make a nipple that accepts 209's and a hammer with an integral firing pin??

Just FYI, the Pedersolli is not the same as the Magspark design so it may not be designed to ignite powder of any kind. I had a Magspark before because when I first began muzzle loading I over lubed the patches and needed the extra fire of a 209 primer to ignite the dampened synthetic powder. Several times I needed pliors to start the cap turning to reload, so IMHO the Magspark is simply not needed.

I recently asked Paul at Warren Custom Outdoor if he could have his machinist turn out a couple of Mag-Sparks in M8-1.0 nipple threading to fit my Pedersoli 1861 Springfield Musket. Paul did so and I now have them, ...and they are working like a champ on my 1861 - reliably lighting Shockley's Gold, Triple 7, and Pyrodex RS (all powders I've tried thus far) using 209 primers. I'd had huge problems getting anything other than original black to ignite reliably in that same rifle using standard musket caps. Paul had an initial run of ten Mag-Sparks machined in M8-1.0, indicating to me if they sold he'd have more made. They may not yet be listed on the Warren web store - but call Paul if you're interested. /Mike Smoot

Back