• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Sticks Sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone made a sheath for their shooting sticks that attaches to a back pack for ease of carrying as well as getting to it in a hurry? If you have I'd appreciate a picture of it.

Thanks.

Dave

In its present form, this is nearly an impossible question to answer because I don't know what kind of sticks you have nor what kind of pack you have. There are many different kinds of packs with many different ways of attaching things. Then there are many differnt kinds of sticks. There are long sticks for shooting from a standing position, there are short sticks for shooting from a seated position and there are some modern sticks that telescope into themselves so that they can be either short for shooting from a seated position or a standing position. Usually these come with a pouch so that you can carry them in the collapsed condition on your belt.

If you have the long sticks, why not just wrap a piece of velcro or a short bungie cord around them to keep them together and use them as a walking stick. If they are short, you could simply fasten them to your pack with short bungies or velcro straps. Or, you could make a pouch for them from a piece of denim from the legs of an old pair of jeans. It would be like a quiver for arrows. How you fasten this pouch to your pack will depend on your pack.

Many questions yet to be answered. :idunno:

Billnpatti said:
...walking stick....

That's been the only solution I've found.

As a matter of fact, my shooting sticks have become shooting STICK. With a good walking stick I can be about 90% as steady while upright, and 100% when sitting or kneeling. That's from actual comparative shooting by the way. When you're only talking muzzleloader ranges, the little extra stability from 2 sticks rather than one is pretty theoretical.

A single stick is especially welcome for walking in rough country, while two have been a PITA for everything but shooting. Never tried the velco to turn 2 into one, but after using a single so many years I have no inclination to go back and try it.

Others may have more success at this, but I find it very difficult to attach anything to my pack and then access it quickly. The pack has to come off first and that alone is a time consuming operation and at ML ranges it is a whole lot of movement if game is in sight.

but after using a single so many years I have no inclination to go back and try it.

Given the demographic of this forum, most of us should not leave home without a walking stick. :haha: I have six of them and a couple more "under construction". Each one is a memento or reminder of a past hunt or excursion. They serve also as "trophies" and are usually the only ones brought home. :haha:

Started using a walking stick when I broke my left femur. They have allowed me to go places that I could not without them and have saved me from a few crashes.

And, they are indeed a useful shooting assistant. About head high or a bit higher will allow it to be used in most terrain.

So you want to carry sticks that are 28-32" long and have easy access to them,
:hmm:
Maybe something like a "quiver" would do the job?

Yeah that is about what I was thinking. Just wondering if anyone had made something to make it easy. Guess not so I will come up with something. Don't want to carry both the gun and the sticks at the same time.

Dave

BrownBear said:
Billnpatti said:
...walking stick....

That's been the only solution I've found.

With a good walking stick I can be about 90% as steady while upright, and 100% when sitting or kneeling.

I've wondered about this from time to time as a good option. I can be extremely steady just resting on the side of a tree, so why not a good walking stick? One can use the top or the sides at any height standing or sitting.

Need to put in some practice this way over the next few months and see how it works out.

Question: Do you use a sling to carry the rifle vs trying to carry the rifle in one hand and shooting stick in the other?

I have a slip on sling from Track that I can use but I normally carry my rifle and keep the sling in my pack. Normally I don't carry shooting sticks however I will be this November on an elk hunt in Arizona so I am trying to get ready for that. Here in New York whitetail hunting I am in either a stand or blind and don't need anything to steady the gun on. Thus the need to carry my shooting sticks in my pack and not my hand.

Dave

Spikebuck said:
Question: Do you use a sling to carry the rifle vs trying to carry the rifle in one hand and shooting stick in the other?

I use a slip-on sling from TOW too, mostly in my pocket until I get into a tough stretch where two hands will be handy for scrambling, or when dragging out a deer. End of the day when I'm all tuckered and all about reaching the truck rather than hunting, I've been known to sling the rifle, too. Truth be known, if I'm hauling my 12# GRRW Hawken 58, it sees a lot more sling time than I like to admit. The sling comes off while hunting, but when I'm just making tracks to or from the truck, it's shouldered.

I use a pair of shooting sticks most every time I go into the deer woods.When moving during shooting hours the sticks are always in my hands so I can quickly take a knee and be in firing position. However I have a strap, much like a rifle sling with leather ties at both ends so the sticks can be worn across my back when Im dragging out a deer or moving in the dark.

How about a tactical shotgun scabbard? They are made to be slung across your back, or attached to your pack. I'm sure something similar could be made out of canvas, leather or deerskin.

Looked that up and that is perfect I think. I did not know that they were out there. I could make a smaller one to fit the shooting sticks. Thanks -- great suggestion. Kinda fits in with the quiver suggestion. Think I will try a shot at making one of them. Thanks.

Dave

Latest posts

Back