• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting Round balls without using patches...does that work??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done that during speed shoots, especially after a few patched balls when the fouling builds up., we were shooting 12” long 2x4and2x6 boards, range out to 30 yards. No problem with accuracy. I would not do it when clean, ball could move to much.

Check out the smoothbore subforum. The accuracy some of those guys get can make one raise an eyebrow. I've got a 58 smoothbore in the works right now so Ima going to find for myself soon enough.

The accuracy some of those guys get can make one raise an eyebrow.
Amen, Bro. One well known maker of smoothies gets rifle accuracy from his personal guns. I have shot against him and long suspected the barrels to be partially rifled. To answer the title of the thread: If it will go down it will come out. Accuracy and velocity will be affected negatively and you will experience leading. But, if the injuns are after you, don't fret those things, just dump in some powder, spit in a ball and shoot.

I've wondered about that. My thoughts ran toward using a ball that measured .500 in a 50 caliber rifle coated with some sort of stiff lube with beeswax and rendered animal fat... or maybe using a Wonder Wad under the ball. Haven't done any experimenting on that yet, but it is an interesting concept.

Trying some shooting of round balls without patches this week. Does that idea work very well ??

Loved the video Mark! I feel ya as far as the cold goes!! It’s comical to watch someone else react in the same manner as I do in the cold… keep the videos coming! Get up this far north on a Saturday shoot me a pm and we can shoot! In the spring/ summer of course!!

Good experiment . I have shot in competitions where the shooter was not permitted to use a measure or a preload , I cup my hand a lot more you do , as if I am going to use my hand to get a drink from a creek , I get more consistent loads that way , about 80 grains . I know guys who rough up a round ball by rolling it with a file on a slab of wood , this expands the ball and helps in smooth bores where a patch is not allowed . It would be the way to go in really dry country where a smoldering patch could start a fire .

I remember reading about the Germans pounding over-bore unpatched lead balls down the barrel. Glad somebody thought of wrapping a bit of cloth around them.

Neither flintlock or rifled, BUT, N-SSA competitors put thousands of unpatched balls down range every year in timed smoothbore matches at 4" targets at 50 yards.

I've wondered about that. My thoughts ran toward using a ball that measured .500 in a 50 caliber rifle coated with some sort of stiff lube with beeswax and rendered animal fat ...
Well I have 2 'breech-loading' muzzleloaders that I do exactly that with! One is a Ferguson action with a screw breech and the other is a Hall 1811 flintlock with an inline tilting breech.

I dip the roundballs in a 50:50 mix of beeswax and cooking oil. Both being rifles, they shoot excellent! But I've also used the same lube recipe when 'bare balling' roundballs in my flint smoothies. Bareball loads (yes, I also shoot them 'naked' too!) can be capable of stellar accuracy, but boy oh boy ... what a mess to clean out the bore after a day of shooting!

Last edited:
Back