• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting my Pawn Shop Find Lyman GPR in .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahFlintlock

32 Cal
Reaction score
About a month ago, I picked up a Lyman GPR from a pawn shop, $150. I ran out of there after buying it, because it was such a good deal. Bore was good after I cleaned it. It was fouled but not rusty. After putting new nipple to it and fitting a set of Davis Deerslayer triggers to it, I took it to my monthly club shoot this past weekend. It was cold and snowing, so we didn't stay long, but it put in acceptable results at 25 yards. Used a Hornady .490 ball and .018" pillow ticking patches, lubed with Wonder Lube.

The front sight is awfully wide. Anyone know what size the dovetails are in the barrel? I'd like to maybe put in a thinner front blade, with a rear buckhorn.

Attachments

• Target 1.jpg
    Target 1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Target 2.jpg
    Target 2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 72
A sharp file and some time will thin the front sight. Or you use a fine hacksaw blade and "split it" then install a piece of ivory ( I use old piano keys) to give you a highly visable, yet traditional front sight.

I ordered the new front from TOTW. I can't wait to get it fitted, and then bench the rifle at 50 yards to see where it's printing.

Back