• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting my new Crockett rifle for the first time.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my new 31 Caliber Crockett Percussion rifle to the range yesterday. It has a 32” barrel.

The first shot was at 15 yards Bench Rested and was dead Center (10X) at Point of Aim (PIA). I then moved it to 25 yards for two more shots, also in the white bullseye.

For off-hand practice, I posted one of the Novelty Targets we shot at our last Match. We usually shoot two shots at each one but then I looked at the target and couldn’t find anything other than the instructions for each target. So, I shot two in the first one and only one in the rest. My first shot was the one closer to the line.

The other one is the target I shot (at the club Match) with my 40 Caliber Flintlock Issac Haines Long Rifle with a 38” Swamped barrel for comparison. Both rifles have Double Set Triggers.

Needless to say, I did better with the lighter half-stock rifle with the percussion lock.

I recently read Baird’s first book about the Hawken Shop in St. Louis. In addition to the Rocky Mountain Rifle, which they’re famous for, they also made smaller guns for the local folks. Based on a photo in the book, this looks similar to something they may have produced.

I would have liked the stock to have been plainer. I really don’t like the grain at the bottom of the butt stock. I love having a muzzleloader shop near me, but they have a strict policy of “you get whichever box is on the top of the pile”. In retrospect, I should have just taken the floor model!

This little gun is so accurate, that I’d almost like to make it my paper target rifle. My mind is turning and I’m thinking about having a Flintlock barrel made for it in 40 caliber. The lock for a Deer Hunter has the same size lock plate. I’d have to order a tumbler with a fly plus a bridle. Of, course I’d have to drill holes to mount latter.

Walt

Attachments

• 20220713_145405.jpg
    20220713_145405.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220713_150924.jpg
    20220713_150924.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220713_171833.jpg
    20220713_171833.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220713_174118_HDR.jpg
    20220713_174118_HDR.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220713_174129.jpg
    20220713_174129.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 0
I took my new 31 Caliber Crockett Percussion rifle to the range yesterday. It has a 32” barrel.

The first shot was at 15 yards Bench Rested and was dead Center (10X) at Point of Aim (PIA). I then moved it to 25 yards for two more shots, also in the white bullseye.

For off-hand practice, I posted one of the Novelty Targets we shot at our last Match. We usually shoot two shots at each one but then I looked at the target and couldn’t find anything other than the instructions for each target. So, I shot two in the first one and only one in the rest. My first shot was the one closer to the line.

The other one is the target I shot (at the club Match) with my 40 Caliber Flintlock Issac Haines Long Rifle with a 38” Swamped barrel for comparison. Both rifles have Double Set Triggers.

Needless to say, I did better with the lighter half-stock rifle with the percussion lock.

I recently read Baird’s first book about the Hawken Shop in St. Louis. In addition to the Rocky Mountain Rifle, which they’re famous for, they also made smaller guns for the local folks. Based on a photo in the book, this looks similar to something they may have produced.

I would have liked the stock to have been plainer. I really don’t like the grain at the bottom of the butt stock. I love having a muzzleloader shop near me, but they have a strict policy of “you get whichever box is on the top of the pile”. In retrospect, I should have just taken the floor model!

This little gun is so accurate, that I’d almost like to make it my paper target rifle. My mind is turning and I’m thinking about having a Flintlock barrel made for it in 40 caliber. The lock for a Deer Hunter has the same size lock plate. I’d have to order a tumbler with a fly plus a bridle. Of, course I’d have to drill holes to mount latter.

Walt
Way Kool!

Those little Crocketts are absolutely among the most accurate small bores I've ever owned or seen.

Walt
Who made/sold these? I'd heard of them but this is 1st time saw any discussion. Thanks.

That's a nice looking Crockett, wish I'd kept mine. In fact, I spent a few hours today working to get elevation filed in on my .32 TVM Tennessee caplock, need one more session, almost there. Anyway, while I was satisfied with the TVMs accuracy given the price of the gun I think my old Crockett grouped better. However. I'm still working with the squirrel gun I shot today.

These smallbore muzzleloaders are a whole lot of fun, practical too if you want to stretch your blackpowder shooting budget.

Looks like you got a good one.

Last edited:
I have owned one for about 5 years now. I use it for hunting. And take to Hunter Education classes.
The kids just love it a little to long for some though. we are fortunate to have had Knight Muzzle loaders headquarters here in our town for years , they gifted us 2 of their rifles for our classes, and
a constant supply of acessories. I have just finished a Traditions 45 cal flint kentucky rifle to use in
our classes so now we'll have a well rounded assortment of black powder firearms for the kids to
shoot maybe some will become hooked and become life long users. Getting back to the Crockett
it is my favorite to shoot, it shot well right out of the box, 15-20 gr of 3f , .310 ball and a .010 patch.
gunny

That's a nice looking Crockett, wish I'd kept mine. In fact, I spent a few hours today working to get elevation filed in on my .32 TVM Tennessee caplock, need one more session, almost there. Anyway, while I was satisfied with the TVMs accuracy given the price of the gun I think my old Crockett grouped better. However. I'm still working with the squirrel gun I shot today.

These smallbore muzzleloaders are a whole lot of fun, practical too if you want to stretch your blackpowder shooting budget.

Looks like you got a good one.

I kinda feel the same way, Coyote. A Crockett is just so easy to handle and shoot and a good load can put 5-shots in a sub-1" group at 50 yards. My current .32 SMR can do that as well; but it cost much, much more than that little Crockett. IMHO they are about the best deal in a small bore rifle.

That would be a might fine improvement to make it a flinter! Is that even possible? If you manage that, would you be so kind as to post pics and the necessary changes you had to do?

That's a heck of an accurate peashooter you have there, BP. Those little Crockets have been a temptation for years. Are you shooting at the range out in Marcola? I shot there while attending the University of Oregon in the early 1970s. We also did Army ROTC training out past the range. I remember one very foggy morning we were ordered to attack Alfa/Bravo a position with our blank-firing ARs and were taking ground very nicely when a blank-firing M60 opened up on our left flank. It happened to be deer season, and about this time a pickup truck full of Springfield boys appeared out of the fog on that logging road. The full-auto M60 fire gave them quite a jolt and the guy driving hit the foot feed real hard ... 😄 Boy, I am old ...
Anyway, I sure hope you can put that Crocket to work on some "tree chickens." Might have to drive on down to Douglas County for silver grays, though.

Walt
What was the ball size, patch thickness and powder charge?
Thanks
Nit Wit

Back