• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting my Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchet-Jack

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I spent the day working up a load using a .440 RB over various thicknesses of patches and lubes and Goex 3F.

My best group was with 50 grains Goex 3F and .017 cotton drill cloth. I got a 3" group at 25 yards. I know I can get tighter groups. I'm going to try a .445 RB and maybe a .020 patch.

I shot somewhere around 30 rounds. I used one if Kiblers Amber Flints. The lock is very fast. I got ignition every time but once toward the end when the Flint and Frizzen was dirty. A quick wipe and she fired.

Here's some videos of me shooting some steel targets 25 and 50 yards.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hgQ86sM8Axr4Cje37
https://photos.app.goo.gl/v89QLs61TrsyQDSJ6

The rifle should shoot one hole groups off the bench at 25yds. A thicker patch will help. Also wiping the flint and frizzen every shot will help ignition. The fouling acts like a lubricant, and the flint doesn't "bite" the frizzen. Personally I prefer a smaller ball and thicker patch instead of a larger ball. Makes loading easier and still fills the grooves.

The rifle should shoot one hole groups off the bench at 25yds. A thicker patch will help. Also wiping the flint and frizzen every shot will help ignition. The fouling acts like a lubricant, and the flint doesn't "bite" the frizzen. Personally I prefer a smaller ball and thicker patch instead of a larger ball. Makes loading easier and still fills the grooves.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'll try a thicker patch.

What do your shot patches look like? Sounds like you need a little scrubbing with a piece of green scotch bright pad and a little oil to take the new out of your barrel.
They actually look pretty good but I am going to try a thicker patch next time.

IMG_20210510_103610.jpg

IMG_20210510_103619.jpg

This is the 50yd.(Rice barrel benched) 1st 5 shots out of my Kibler Colonial .58. First shot went high. It was the clean barrel shot. You should get something similar from your .45. I was so amazed that I stopped and took the picture. .562 ball, square canvas patch, 9+ lube, estimated 85gr. 2F load. Wish I could do that offhand. ;)

Brooks rifle target (2).jpg

Thanks I have some .020. Denim, good idea I'll try that.

I've been working on loads for mine also. Right now I'm using .440 balls, 3f Ode E, Hoppe"s patch lube, and some canvas patching material that is between .021-.023 (depending how hard you press it). Looks like 50 to 55 grains is going to be my charge. Just need to shoot them some more. I have done some smoothing on the crown, so there are no hard edges per some recomendations. This helps when loading with the thicker patches. I clover leafed 3 shots yesterday with the 55 grain load.

I've been working on loads for mine also. Right now I'm using .440 balls, 3f Ode E, Hoppe"s patch lube, and some canvas patching material that is between .021-.023 (depending how hard you press it). Looks like 50 to 55 grains is going to be my charge. Just need to shoot them some more. I have done some smoothing on the crown, so there are no hard edges per some recomendations. This helps when loading with the thicker patches. I clover leafed 3 shots yesterday with the 55 grain load.
I compress it as hard as I can when taking a read and call it that. Clover leaf is what we want!

Back