• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting Marbles?? Is that smart?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you are suggesting not giving the kids a chance to shoot? Where do you think the next generation of shooters and hunters are coming from? Using marbles I gave 11 and 13 year old brothers their first opportunity to shoot guns, not to mention they were percussion and flintlock guns, with approval from a helicopter mom. And as far as pulling one, if you read my posted you would have noticed the marbles were way under bore size, plus I own a compressor and a number of grease guns.
I get what your are saying, but teaching new shooters they can improvise/put whatever they can think of (I know this is not you) down a gun barrel, in my eyes is not a good idea. I have happily taken quite a few new shooters/kids to the range, where they are learning what you should do. In the safety of our kitchen, in the same mindset of what you are thinking...I admit to showing a few young kids how a flintlock was loaded with black pepper and a filbert nut. Needless to say, they knew it wouldnt go boom.

I admit to showing a few young kids how a flintlock was loaded with black pepper and a filbert nut. Needless to say, they knew it wouldnt go boom.
I have just found that there is quite the difference in the impression made between no boom, and boom and a reactive target actually being hit. The father, a non-shooter, knew the boys wanted to shoot a gun and we were able to do that and not ignore the mother’s irrational rules. As a follow up, both boys have now received the Scout’s Rifle and Shotgun Merit Badge. and I don’t believe mom found out until after the fact. Kind of a don’t ask don’t tell or maybe a Sargent Schultz thing if I had to guess. Don’t know if they would have started down that path with a gun loaded with pepper, though just speculation on my part.

Aside from regular glass "cateye" marbles, Daisy makes various sized glass balls and markets them as slingshot ammo.Just thought I'd mention it if you're still looking for a smaller diameter.
16774614142468035277739111264465.jpg

Hmmm, “Comfortably_Numb” and “Heyyou”48307. Two Pink Floyd songs. These two folks are one in the same. They are the same poster, busy supporting each others posts while belittling BP Maniac Shooters posts.
That would be cool if their were two of me.

roundball,
Who many here may still remember did extensive testing with marbles and brass balls…
Here’s an old post of his talking about brass balls.

01EB9A44-D3C8-4E07-960B-D9362CC4C310.jpeg

Don't listen to the haters Mark, keep those videos coming. I almost cried a little today when my wife looked at me and said " Hey, it's Sunday, is there a new video out from that quirky black powder guy ? "

I got to admit I cringed a little when that marble got stuck, as options were less than with lead. Glad you got it out with no damage to the gun and at the same time kind of debunked the whole "pipe bomb" myth caused by not fully seating the ball or marble in this case. God bless.

I've considered the steel ball bearings as well for big tough game where soft lead would not get the penetration I would want. I might have to do some experimenting with my 62 smoothbore this summer.

A steel ball will likely get less penetration than a lead ball. Problem is the steel is much less dense than lead and will lose velocity quickly (ask any duck hunter). Some fancy math involved but there is a reason lead is used over steel and it's not just because lead is softer.

Now a tungsten alloy ball would be a whole different sack of potatoes. Harder than steel and denser than lead... also MUCH more expensive.

Last edited:
A steel ball will likely get less penetration than a lead ball. Problem is the steel is much less dense than lead and will lose velocity quickly (ask any duck hunter). Some fancy math involved but there is a reason lead is used over steel and it's not just because lead is softer.

Now a tungsten alloy ball would be a whole different sack of potatoes. Harder than steel and denser than lead... also MUCH more expensive.
A steel ball although lighter than lead does not deform like lead so does indeed still penetrate well.
Steel shot does similar, an often overlooked attribute.

Back