• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Low

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am reading that many are having problems getting their fowlers to hit point of aim. Is this a common challenge with all smooth bores? Does the C'ville and Bess shoot this way also? I want to get a smoothie, however due to my lack of experience, I don't want to end up with a expensive wall hanger. I would feel more at ease if there was a club close by that I could get some hands on help if I hand to bend a barrel.
I am spoiled because my 50 GPR clover leafs at 50yds.
Ah yes...life is full of challenges....but somebody has to do it!

I whacked a squirrel the other day at better than 35 yards the other day with my smoothbore. I have also cut palying cards in half, split balls on an axe, hit popsicle sticks at 25 yards, cut strings, and hit a turkey sized target at 80 yards, and embarassed a couple of rifle shooters with my 20 gauge.

A smoothbore is like any other gun, it needs to be sighted in and it will do what you ask of it. There are a lot of advantages to smoothies, and while you won't necessarily become a precision shooter, you can still group nicely at 50, 75, even 100 yards when you get to know your gun.

All shooting is a relationship, and smoothbores are very much like women...you had better get to know what they like and treat them like your life depends on them!

One problem that first time smoothbore shooters run into is that they treat the smoothbore like a rifle and sight straight down the top of the barrel, and then find that it shoots low. Look at your rifle a minute, and more specifically look at the sights. They are raised above the plane of the barrel, aren't they? So when you hunker down on your sights, you are actually looking OVER the barrel. Don't drop your head so far on a smoothie. More importantly, put it on the bench and sight it in just like you would a rifle before you go bending ANYTHING! Plan to spend the day.

Smoothbores are very user friendly, and I thoroughly enjoy shooting mine, and I am building my 3rd as we speak...well, not as we speak...as we speak I am typing this in my office and ducking work for a few minutes, but you get the idea.

Anyway, hope all of that runaround helps. Prepare for the flood of responses to your question...glad I got here first!

StumblinBufller ,

What is the barrel lenght on the smoothie you mentioned above? I am also planning to get a smoothbore, probably a Tulle, in the near future. Trying to decide what barrel length would be the best..36"-46". I'll be more interested in better round ball performnce, and take what I can get with shot.

Thanks

I ust built a 20 gauge smoothie and I'll kepp you advice in ind when I go to the range. This is my first smoothie by the way.

StumblinBufller ,

What is the barrel lenght on the smoothie you mentioned above? I am also planning to get a smoothbore, probably a Tulle, in the near future. Trying to decide what barrel length would be the best..36"-46". I'll be more interested in better round ball performnce, and take what I can get with shot.

Thanks

My Barn Gun has a 42" 20 gauge barrel and I am currently working on a 16ga with a 44" inch barrel. I like a long barrel, but mainly because I like the way it handles. I had a 24ga NWTG with a 36" inch barrel, and just didn't like the feel of it. Also, I think that in the accuracy department, a longer barrel makes for a longer sight plane. IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING that the flight path is not affected nearly as much by barrel length as does the sight plane. :results:

Then again, I'm 6'4"...

However, that being said, I am thinking about putting together a short barreled 12 or 10ga--short meaning 30 or 32"--to use mostly for shooting shot, simply to have a fast-action wing and bunny popper. My 20ga shoots shot really nicely and I have popped more squirrels with it than I can count and several hippity-hoppers and a few birds and clays, but I just want an excuse to build another...LOL...

I ust built a 20 gauge smoothie and I'll kepp you advice in ind when I go to the range. This is my first smoothie by the way.

There's a lot of good advice in this forum, take in as much as possible. Smoothbore shooting is more of an "art" than rifle shooting...acutally, sometimes it's more like golf than shooting...lol...

Not to shamelessly self promote, but it's not secret around here that I publish a magazine called Buckskinner. We have a regular column in there called "Smooth Shooting" that deals with all aspects of smoothbore shooting. the first two issues dealt with sighting in and shot patterns. If you want to see the magazine online, you can go to our website, go to the page that says "For Advertisers" and then you can click on a button that will let you download our premier issue. Smooth Shooting is right up near the front...just don't miss the rest!!!

:results:

Stumblin,
Preciate the advice! I use to shoot ATA trap. I never had to bend a barrel. But I read all the posts I can on this subject and I want to be informed as possible before I lay down my cashish! Everyone speaks very passionately about their smoothies, so I must allow that to speak for itself. I really like the idea of a "do it all gun"!

Stumblin,
Preciate the advice! I use to shoot ATA trap. I never had to bend a barrel. But I read all the posts I can on this subject and I want to be informed as possible before I lay down my cashish! Everyone speaks very passionately about their smoothies, so I must allow that to speak for itself. I really like the idea of a "do it all gun"!

Nothing better than telling people that you got your deer with a squirrel gun...gets some odd looks...lol...

actually, there is one thing better:

Camp fee, $25.00
Lead, $5.00
Powder, $11.00
20ga Smoothbore, $900.00...

The look on a rifle shooter's face when you kick his butt on a woodswalk with a smooth-tube...
Priceless

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Just kidding rifle shooters...don't jump on me too hard, we all have bad days; but a win is a win, right?

Thanks Stumblin..

I friend of mine just loaned me his 12ga, 36" bbl English Fowler to chase whitetails with next week. He said he used to routinely beat rifle shooters with it up to at least 50 yds.

Java Man

. . . just loaned me his 12ga, 36" bbl English Fowler to chase whitetails with next week.

Normally I would pounce on that. One week isn't long enough to get hunting skills with a round ball from a smoothie! But I know (of) Java Man and I know he is a h#ll of a traditional bow instinctive shot. That is just how I treat my smoothbores: like a trad bow I can hold af full draw a lot longer. The "aiming" is identical (even though you don't "aim" a sightless smoothbore :haha:).

Go get 'em next week, Gregg. :thumbsup:

To quote Clint Eastwood (I don't remember which movie) "A man's got to know his limitations". This is very appropriate when applied to smoothbores also. The best way to get to know your, and your smoothie's limitations is to practise, practise, practise. Once you know what it can do you will have the confidence to shoot against anyone, within its limits. I just was on a woodswalk this weekend with my smoothie. Didn't come in first, but beat some rifles including inlines (one with a scope), that was sweet. The key is to know what your gun does, if it shoots low (or high), you can adjust your powder charge, your hold, your sight picture....the list goes on, you just have to shoot it to find the answer, but therein lies the fun. Like Stumbln said, it is more art than science. If you are hung up on tight cloverleaf groups, a smoothbore is probably not for you. Not that you can't get them if you work hard enough at it (I have seen claims of it, but know not of it personally), but it is unlikely you will get them before you become frustrated and throw it away. (BTW, if that happens, throw it my way).
NoDeer

Thanks Charlie. And for your comments NoDeer. I'll keep shots close, and broadside...And get in some practice too!

I really like the idea of a "do it all gun"!
"Do All Gun",, exactly what is getting me into a Bess (for about a year now!). Excellent for single shot Hi-Load / Low Load / and ball. Being in R.I. most my hunting is in swamps. Some are so thick,,,, you don't even want to go there. Other areas it's like a 50 yd. wide runway with very few "saplings" in a 150 yd. run either way. *Primary deer cover and feed/bedding trails!* Bess can reach out (modestly) 50 yds. Bark a squirrel at 20, scatter a bird at 30. Stomp a 'yote at 30. Smack a goose at 35. Or "Rabbit Rover (plinking a can downhill until you cant move it anymore).
Loved the 16 I had yrs. ago. (my butt is sore over that ,,,still!) Talk about versatility? it'll shoot anything from a 3/4" lead sinker (imagine getting smacked with that) to a .22 snake shot!
Match the load, work the pattern, utilize the shot, and you'll have game for dinner. Plain an' simple.

:redthumb:
Instinctive shooting there "Stumpshooter". Been in a lot of,,,,,,, "Dis cus ons" on "what is" with that. I shot Longbow instinctive in R.I's IBO and missed the finals in Miami by 2 points in the later '80's (like 87/88). (thus R.I. Archer).
You know,,,,, ya can't "teach" "instinctive". :hmm:

I've had real good luck shooting ball with my Brown Bess carbine...windage-wise it was right on, but on elevation I don't know as I put long-rifle sights on it, made the front sight tall, and filed it down to the desired POI. Never shot it without the sights.

With the sights, (old timey full buckhorns, which I think look really right at home on it) and tight ball and patch, and wonder wad I am getting about 3" groups at 50. Under ideal conditions (from the bench) I can kill the paper plate consistantly at 75...but I would not try that on a deer unless I could go prone, get a really good rest. So I guess really I consider mine to be a good 60 yard weapon. 50 yards it's as good as a rifle, on big game. At 25 yards, like most anything at 25 yards, it will shoot "pinwheels", and could actually be used to nip the heads off of wabbits and squirrels.

Of course when I saw a REALLY nice black bear this fall he was 80 yards, and not getting closer. Do'H!!! (and that's ok, if I needed to kill everything, everytime, I certainly would not be hunting with a smooth-bore flintlock!!)

Rat

it's probably my post on "help my trade gun...." that has you concerned.
i got mine (54 cal/28 ga) as a small game gun... snowshoes, grouse etc. works fine with shot for that, then i tried to step it up a notch after reading all the stuff on this board. (either these guys are really good, or are delusional) :shocking: ::
that's when i found out the shooting low thing etc. the guys here pretty much confirmed what i thought.
gonna shoot it a lot, til it works for me.
as far as harry and " a man ... limitations" i'll throw in a quote i often use in construction...
"it's a poor tradesman who blames his tools" ::
the gun's fine ... i just have to work with it offhand til i'm as accurate as it is.
clover leafs at 50 yards?? naaah!
minute of deer accurate at 50 yards? for sure!
i'll get there.

Back