• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting Lead, or antique treasure?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lucked into a bunch of lead at an auction yesterday.

Some of it has interesting molding marks.

Should I shoot it, or would I be destroying some obscure history?

20210725_081858.jpg
20210725_081922.jpg
20210725_081931.jpg

This is unrecognizable civil war battlefield lead that a relic hunter friend gave me, when I mentioned turning it into round balls some here pitch a fit because of the possible historical value. To me is is only lead and is now in ingot form for future round ball casting.
View attachment 86515

As it is unrecognizable, and as it has NO documentation where it was found on what site..., it has zero archaeologic value. NOW, if you got an original mold, and recast it into ACW projectiles, and then buried them until they had a nice, thick, white patina......, which is what I wonder about when I see "bullets" for sale at Gettysburg stores.......

LD

This is unrecognizable civil war battlefield lead that a relic hunter friend gave me, when I mentioned turning it into round balls some here pitch a fit because of the possible historical value. To me is is only lead and is now in ingot form for future round ball casting.
View attachment 86515
Use to know a metal detector guy in Tennessee that dug up so many minie balls that he sometimes cast his round balls out of his finds.

I like watching Antiques Roadshow and would say that very common stuff that people didn’t save for any reason becomes rare stuff, but in this case, I don’t think that there is enough value added to the product that it will become valuable in the near future. So that brings it down to you. If you think its cool, save it. I have a ring that I cut filed and polished from a copper pipe. Not worth anything buy I like it.

Latest posts

Back