Shooting Lead, or antique treasure?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Peregrine

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Melt away! They are just maker's marks. They are neat, but other than doorstops, their best use will be some fine downrange projectiles!

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This is unrecognizable civil war battlefield lead that a relic hunter friend gave me, when I mentioned turning it into round balls some here pitch a fit because of the possible historical value. To me is is only lead and is now in ingot form for future round ball casting.
View attachment 86515
As it is unrecognizable, and as it has NO documentation where it was found on what site..., it has zero archaeologic value. NOW, if you got an original mold, and recast it into ACW projectiles, and then buried them until they had a nice, thick, white patina......, which is what I wonder about when I see "bullets" for sale at Gettysburg stores.......

LD

Robin Henderson

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This is unrecognizable civil war battlefield lead that a relic hunter friend gave me, when I mentioned turning it into round balls some here pitch a fit because of the possible historical value. To me is is only lead and is now in ingot form for future round ball casting.
View attachment 86515
Use to know a metal detector guy in Tennessee that dug up so many minie balls that he sometimes cast his round balls out of his finds.

necchi

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on how bad ya need a paper weight. 😇
Honestly, that Dutch Boy one looks kinda cool, I'd wash that one, then wipe it down good with WD40 and put it on a shelf someplace.
Sorta keep it as a memento for awhile, at least till the novelty of it wore off,
I'd Melt the rest,,

andy52

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, the Dutch Boy is solder, not pure lead. I'd put money that the rest is solder as well. Meaning it can have tin and anything else in it.
Most likely you are correct, it's probably not pure lead.

Ponderosaman

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I like watching Antiques Roadshow and would say that very common stuff that people didn’t save for any reason becomes rare stuff, but in this case, I don’t think that there is enough value added to the product that it will become valuable in the near future. So that brings it down to you. If you think its cool, save it. I have a ring that I cut filed and polished from a copper pipe. Not worth anything buy I like it.