• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting high

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just purchased a Used green mountain drop in barrel for my TC Hawken. With the rear sight as low as it goes, I am hitting 1 inch high at 25 yards, 7 inches high at 50 yards. At 100 yards the group is high but too open to tell how high. I am only using 45 grains of triple 7 2 F in 54 caliber.
I put a higher front sight on and haven't had a chance to shoot since. I am using map for lube, fairly tight patch and .530 balls. The patches look good after shooting.
Any suggestions on things I need to change? Ps I'm using a rest.
Start at one grain per caliber and work your way up. 70 to 80 grains of powder makes a pretty decent load for a lot of uses. Some people like 90 to 100 grains of powder.
What is MAP lubricant?

I rest the wood fore stock on a shooting bag. I have a smaller bag under the rear stock. The set up is on the clubs cement shooting table. The targets are slightly down hill from the shooting bench. At 25 yards I hold 6 o'clock on the orange center bull (1") and the balls hit in a group almost touching the top of the orange dot.
At 50 yards I hold at 6 o' clock on the bottom of the 10 inch target. The balls hit in 2 inch group roughly 2 inches above the center bull. That's about 7 inches above the poa.
Assuming you are right-handed, put your left hand under the forend and the back of your hans on top of your rest. No sand bag under the butt either. Put the buttplate on your shoulder and hold it there.
First thing though, put a large beach towel or piece on carpet on the concrete table top to prevent damage to your gun. Make sure ghe covering material is big enough to drape down the sides. Concrete is nice and solid table top material, but it sure plays heck with guns and other things that are prone to being damaged like wood and nicely finished steel.

As I said earlier

Personally, I am not a hold on to the forearm kind of guy, others are, I insure the forearm is resting on the front bag in the exact same point on the gun and the rear bag is not catching on the butt, and I am a rear bag squeezer, squeezing it to fine tune my shot. (Except on dedicated benchrest guns where the front rest is adjusted)

There is a reason benchrest shooters have a front and rear bag, but really the most important thing is consistency.
Do the exact same thing with the gun positioned as exactly as you can every time.

Latest posts

Back