• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting High, Do I Need A New Front Sight?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meanwhile

32 Cal
Reaction score
I took a new to me TC .50 percussion to the range today. I had a devil of a time attempting to hit a target a couple weeks ago, so today I used butcher paper at 25 yards, and 50 yards.

I shot 80gr FFF Pyrodex with patched .490 round ball. Patch was .005 , also tried thicker patch with no better results.

After shooting high but centered, I lowered the rear stock sight to rock bottom. I hit 12-13" high at 50 yards. Oh my.

So the front sight is stock as is the rear sight.

Please lend me your suggestions on a replacement front sight.

An option is mounting a tang sight, I have a 3 screw tang. If I go with a tang sight, I may need to replace the front anyway. Thoughts?

Try .015 as mentioned and back down to 50 grains and see what it does before replacing sights.

Those T/C front sights are pretty high with a big dovetail. Be sure to measure the sight to see how high you need to go. Put a blade on a magnet and try it for elevation. Might be easier to get some 1/2" key stock and make one. You could also file the blade off and drill and tap the base for a post sight made from a screw or solder a new blade on the base. Put ablob of solder or epoxy on the blade. All sorts of ways to make a trial sight.

The thicker patches made no difference. It was the pillow ticking .015. I shot both.

Now the sight question, is there a general width of the cut or is everyone different?

Fashion an extension and shoot it so you know a height that achieves what you want so you know what to look for.

Any math guys around?

How much of a rise in the front sight if it shoots 12" high at 50 yards?

Ditto on what bang said. This sounds strange but cut off a popsicle stick so it is about 1/4 inch taller than the sight and duct tape it to your sight. It can be removed and cut down then replaced or a taller stick added. It will shoot left or right depending on which side the stick is on but you can still get an idea when it is roughly level with the bullseye. Take extra sticks and tape. Or use this as an springboard for something of your own creation. Good luck.

I like it. Wish I had thought of that at the range.

I've been looking online and it seems 3/8" dovetail is standard.

I took a new to me TC .50 percussion to the range today.... I hit 12-13" high at 50 yards. Oh my.

Check the barrel wedge, the barrel to tang fit at the hooked breech, and the tang screw. It's weird, but sometimes when those are loose, the recoil causes the barrel to move before the ball or bullet exits, and thus you get oddness in where the rifle shoots. Especially when you say it shoots centered but high. That's what it would do if it had barrel seating problem and was moving due to recoil... upwards.

LD

Yes! What LD said is more than likely your problem my friend.

Possible over tightening of the front tang screw nearest the breech? Possible interference somewhere along the barrel channel in your stock thus causing your barrel to not seat properly? Also check to see if hooked breech is mating with tang properly my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

"I took a new to me TC .50 percussion to the range today"

"Check the barrel wedge, the barrel to tang fit at the hooked breech, and the tang screw. It's weird, but sometimes when those are loose, the recoil causes the barrel to move before the ball or bullet exits, and thus you get oddness in where the rifle shoots. Especially when you say it shoots centered but high. That's what it would do if it had barrel seating problem and was moving due to recoil... upwards."

Have to agree with LD, best answer yet.

Since the rifle is "new" to you, you have no idea what the previous owner did to it. The lack ability to sight it in might be the reason you now own it.

How many of the TC rifles sights work as intended and are of the correct height? Seems odd that your rifle would have an incorrect front sight unless it was changed.

A lot of the T/C's have bedding material under the tang and also under the triggers, yours may be missing under the tang or not enough causing it to be loose.

Last edited:
If this is going to be a hunting rifle I might suggest shooting some maxi balls through it and a 6 o’clock hold on your target. For bullseye shooting I and many others use a 6 o’clock hold to get a full view of the intended bullseye. You might be surprised where it patterns with those two hints. Good luck. Greg :)

Back