• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Glasses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericb

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I wear Sun/Safety Glasses when shooting; always have. The amount of burnt in schmutz and grime after a session with BigLock Musket is impressive, and I usually go through 2-3 pairs a season, since, unlike the old style glasses that were actually made of tempered safety glass, a lot of the the debris is actually burned/imbedded into the (plastic) lenses. I used to have Real Glass shooting/safety glasses when I was a kid (my right eye always needed a little help), and they always cleaned up well and lasted many, many years. I would like to get a new pair of prescription glasses for shooting, but it seems all glasses are now made with polycarbonate lenses, and I don't want to spend the money for a pair of glasses that aren't going to last the season. Any thoughts? Surely I'm not the only one who has had to deal with this?

Eric

Eric,
If you go to any good firearms dealer, not Cabelas or Gander, that handles quality shotguns they will have a selection of shooting glasses. Some of the better brands will grid your prescription. A good opticion should also be able to order whatever you want.
Mark

Visit a good optician. Not the one hour places. Quality shooting glasses are easy to find but be prepared to pay top dollar. They're not cheap.

HD

ericb said:
I wear Sun/Safety Glasses when shooting; always have. The amount of burnt in schmutz and grime after a session with BigLock Musket is impressive, and I usually go through 2-3 pairs a season, since, unlike the old style glasses that were actually made of tempered safety glass, a lot of the the debris is actually burned/imbedded into the (plastic) lenses. I used to have Real Glass shooting/safety glasses when I was a kid (my right eye always needed a little help), and they always cleaned up well and lasted many, many years. I would like to get a new pair of prescription glasses for shooting, but it seems all glasses are now made with polycarbonate lenses, and I don't want to spend the money for a pair of glasses that aren't going to last the season. Any thoughts? Surely I'm not the only one who has had to deal with this?

Eric
Eric,
I'd recommend looking into a company called Revision ( http://www.revisioneyewear.com/ ). They make some really good stuff. It's very scratch resistant, can be stomped on without breaking, and can take a 12ga from 8ft without penetration. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to get prescription inserts, but I will say from experience the glasses are inexpensive by ballistic standards, and will last you years.

Polycarboante lenses aren't the same as the old plastic.
I've been using polycarbonate for several years now and I can assure you burning stuff does not "pepper" the lense like plastic. I just renewed my scrip after 3 years and theres no burn specs on the lenses an thats at least 10# of powder in those 3 years.
But these ain't cheap one hour or two for one deals. The scrip with tri-focals ran me 265. The only thing that got me with the last pair was some over-spray from an arasol can of spar varnish, did it outside and the wind blew some back, never did git it all cleaned off.

Yep, the newer polycarbonate lenses are great. I've been using them for several years now without any trouble. It's pretty hard to even scratch them, and Ive never had a problem with any debris burning into the lenses.

Norinco said:
How does your musket throw flame backwards to your eyes?

The flame is not as much the issue as is the minute particles of debris that pepper the glasses...the good news is its not peppering your eyes.
Debris can get deflected by the expanding gas pressure from the pan flash which occurs 360*...also the vent exhaust can hit the side of the leather and flint and deflect around, etc.

As my eyes have aged I've been lucky not to need actual prescription glasses...just drug store reading glasses...and every couple years when I bump up the strength of the reading glasses...I also bump up a pair of full size ones to use at the range, noticing that they gradually accumulate enough peppering marks that I want replace them every couple years.

The ones for the range are a couple diopters weaker than the strength of the actual reading glasses...ie: my current reading glasses are +2.50...glasses for the range are +1.25 to 1.50...also wear them hunting.

The USPSA speed shooters & 3-gun shooters at my club wear "Rudy Project" and other such similar high-tech glasses with interchangeable colored lenses, depending upon the terrain, the color of their front sights, ambient light angle/quantity, etc. These high-tech glasses are all the rage and all of the top shooters in the world wear them.

I do a lot of C&B shooting, and the hot gases/debris come straight back to your face with some models since the nipple is right behind your face when ignition occurs as the hot gases go around the nipples and hammer with every shot :wink: so eye protection is always a good idea!

Dave

Thanx to all. Some good advice & references here. I will do my homework and see where it leads me.

I knew there be no shortage of answers around this fire....

Eric

You can also buy sun glasses with a reading perscription in in them just like the drug store ones cept only bottom 1/3 is the reading pers, the rest is sun glass.VIA your local wal mart, around 30$ canadian. Good for fishing too.
iLIKE EM so much I got 2 pair and use mine all summer,I like em :thumbsup: WALT.

I believe that Bob Allen sells a line of high end shooting glasses,( custom) with a variety of styles, and colors of lens. I bought mine from Allan Lehman optics years ago, and they have served me well. Both companies tend to send Reps. to the big shotgun events* often with a van or truck set up so that they can fit customers on the spot with glasses or new lens. Both have Websites. Also check Aviator Shooting glasses, and Decot Sports glasses.
http://www.bob-allen.com/ http://www.lehmanoptical.net http://www.sportsglasses.com http://www.orvis.com

*modern skeet, trap, and sporting clays competitions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't use polycarbonate lenses for anything. I just can't focus through them to read or see any detail.

I got my Bauch & Lomb shooting glasses and leather case in about 1969-70. Don't remember what they cost, but they were a premium price even then. They have been excellent glasses in every respect so I never saw a need for anything else and they are still as good as new. You'd never know looking at them that they have 40 years of very heavy use for all types of hunting, target and competition shooting. Gave them to my son just a couple of months ago when I saw the cheap junk he was using, so now he uses them for all of his shooting. No reason why they won't last him a lifetime if he takes care of them like I did. So I guess I'd have to say that I got my moneys worth out of them, many, many times over.
:thumbsup:

You haven't tried the good ones yet, have you?

The cheap ones aren't coated so flare & glare are somewhat problematic. Perhaps this led to your bad experience?

Dave

Walks Alone said:
I got my Bauch & Lomb shooting glasses and leather case in about 1969-70. Don't remember what they cost, but they were a premium price even then. They have been excellent glasses in every respect so I never saw a need for anything else and they are still as good as new. You'd never know looking at them that they have 40 years of very heavy use for all types of hunting, target and competition shooting. Gave them to my son just a couple of months ago when I saw the cheap junk he was using, so now he uses them for all of his shooting. No reason why they won't last him a lifetime if he takes care of them like I did. So I guess I'd have to say that I got my moneys worth out of them, many, many times over.
:thumbsup:

I wear the same shooting glasses as you do. I too, do not remember what they cost, but they weren't cheap!

When I was a Flight Instructor I had a Pair of Bausch & Lomb Ambermatics - they were light sensitive, & indestructable, and everything always looked the same, regardless of the light condition. Many a time I drove home well after dark, & didn't even realize I still had them on. Can't recall what happened to them, but boy oh boy, I wish I had them now. They were $50-$60, in the late 70's. I wonder if they still make them...gonna check....

E

Back