• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Fix for Most Poor Eyesight Issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic shooter

Decades of bringing worthy orig. ML back to life
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been shooting & competing with traditional black powder firearms for over 50 years but due to poor eyesight issues from birth I was unable to do very well at matches until I devised the device below about 40 years ago.
This devise is made from a Jewelers Loupe that you can order online from a jewelry supply outlet or perhaps purchase at a local craft-store. They come with one or two loupes with glass magnifying lenses, each lens is secured by a tiny eyeglass type of screw. Just remove the glass lens & use it as a pattern & replace the glass with the plastic bottom of a 'black' 35 m/m film can.
I personally find a 0.40 dia. hole works well for me & provides me with a clear picture of both sights & my target when shooting my rifle or pistol. Hard to say what dia. hole will work best for you. might want to start with a smaller hole & work your way up. The loupe's arms can easily be bent & adjusted to fit what sight picture works best for you.
Nicest part of this shooting aide is that the arm can be rotated out of your line of sight when your not shooting & the arm is spring-loaded so it stays in place in any position. These Jewelers Loupes come with stout spring loaded clips that keeps it securely attached to wire or plastic eyeglass frames.
Hardest part to find these days is a 35 m/m film can but should be able to find a thin piece of black plastic or nylon material that will work just as well, be sure to de-bur the hole you make for a nice sharp sight picture.

IMG_2298.JPG
IMG_2297.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Your correct there are other similar options that have been around for years. Challenge was to find an option that didn't obscure my vision between matches, that I could wear while hunting & flip into position for a quick shot or did not leave suction cup smudges on my glasses when removing & re-installing items like the Merit disc that I also tried.. Maybe this will help a few folks shoot better until someone on this forum comes up with a better mouse trap.
The Muzzle loading Forum & ability to communicate on the internet will likely be what keeps BP shooting & living history alive as members like yourself are always willing to help solve issues with new shooters.

I've been using a similar device-
http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html
From what I've been told, it's now out of production and all that remain are those still in the supply chain. It works great as the apeture is adjustable for light conditions. Here is a similar device that is still in production-
https://gehmann.com/english/products.php?id=67&kategorie=31
One other thing I've done for my aging sight, I found that reader glasses from the dollar store bring the front post into sharp focus and coupling that with the Merrit solves most of my problem.

I've always had pretty bad astigmatism but I learned to compensate to a degree. However the Merit stick on device really helps. Glad you have a more convenient version.

Jeff

Back