• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Bare ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brokennock, I guess that I am, it is getting hot in here! LOL!! thanks for the come back to my defense, at least I think you did? at 77+++, any thing seems good to me! even getting another day out of life!!
No defense needed. I was joking about the flames. But not about the high horse individual. 😉
At 77+++, do what makes you happy, eat what you like, drink, smoke, carouse with wild women.
If you woke up on the right side of the grass, celebrate.

I just need someone to explain to me the need to shoot bare ball? Seems very “off” to me. Patched round balls are what we use in our rifles, they also seem to give the best results in a smoothbore.
It seems it would foul the barrel more, possibly lead the barrel as well.
Maybe I’m missing something,,,,,, please help me understand.

The few first person accounts describe..... wadding when loading a trade gun with a round ball. Also a few original guns that were loaded when recoverd from the ground or water were loaded with some type of wadding material above & below the bare ball.
So if you want to load your gun in a historical way.....bare ball & wadding is the way to go. For me, a .005 undersized ball shoots a good group without having to hammer a tight ball & patch combo down the bore.

Patched round balls are what we use in our rifles, they also seem to give the best results in a smoothbore

Not always. When I was seeking a good load for my smoothrifle I found that looser patched loads shot better groups than tight loads, so, having read so much about shooting roundball from smoothbores using wads instead of patches, I decided to try it. @George and others had posted some very good groups and much success. The best groups I get from that gun are with a card, lubed wad, ball, then another card, over powder.

And I don't need 100+ grains of powder to do it.

But then I'm also not a member of the exhausted NSSA so I guess I'll just go back to picking my nose and drooling.

I just need someone to explain to me the need to shoot bare ball? Seems very “off” to me. Patched round balls are what we use in our rifles, they also seem to give the best results in a smoothbore.
It seems it would foul the barrel more, possibly lead the barrel as well.
Maybe I’m missing something,,,,,, please help me understand.
By accident I found a reference to patching a ball in a smoothbore from 1847 Canada. The writer did not claim to have invented this but speaks of it as a known thing. We can infer that patching a round ball in a smoothbore predates 1847
Just a thought experiment
At the battle of New Orleans the ‘Kentucky Rifles’ had in fact lost many of their rifles. These men knew the advantage of patched ball, did any shoot it?
Another thought experiment. By the time of the revolution American gun makers made some smooth rifles or rifle mounted fusils. The makers made guns for patched round ball use. And most of the buyers bought guns used a patched ball. A smoothbore can let you shoot shot or ball, knowing rifles were loaded with patch did any of these smoothbore unrifled shooters run a patch ball down the bore?
Third experiment.
To load a gun with a wad one would often put down the wad, run down a ball and then another wad. Three rammings per shot. During the revolution and beyond did smooth shooter see a patched ball rammed once and think ‘thars a good idea?”
Answer to all is yes maybe
We know frontiersman who had shot rifles sometimes would be forced to use a smoothbore. Having learned to patch a ball it just make sense that they did
However just makes sense ain’t proof. As far as we can document they loaded smoothbores with bare ball until 1847.
Even if they did patch balls before that, maybe before the revolution, and I think they did, to get the best historic experience a bare ball may be your best shot at it. Pun intended

The 18th century mindset from what information we have suggests that the use of a patch was used to impart spin on a ball shot thru a rifled bore.

I always just shook my bare balls prior too shooting!
Relieves the sprues quickly…

9EC01CAD-1AE5-4DE6-A289-782DCD4D94DE.jpeg

I just throw a handful in a plastic coffee can and shake bye hand for a couple of minutes…
Gives them dimples (sort of) and flattens the sprue somewhat.

The reason I was shooting bare ball was because of limited access too various size round balls for my .653 bore gun…

I have since found that a .626 ball and .0016 ticking shoots well too…👍

There’s probably many more loads that would work as well… it just depends on how many 1 oz chunks of lead one wants to send down range..

Walnut husk media with a little graphite powder. I run mine between 4 to 8 hours. It does help smooth the sprue some and the balls don't oxidize as bad with the light coating of graphite.
Do you use a rotary tumbler or vibrating tumbler? Where do you buy your graphite? Thanks for sharing your experience

Do you use a rotary tumbler or vibrating tumbler? Where do you buy your graphite? Thanks for sharing your experience
I use a vibrating tumbler. I stir it off and on. The graphite came from a spray can of graphite spray lube. I spray some in the medium and it seems to do the trick.

These men knew the advantage of patched ball

Is there still an advantage if there is no rifling to be engaged? We have noted earlier that sometimes with smoothbore guns, they shoot better with a looser load than rifled guns.

To load a gun with a wad one would often put down the wad, run down a ball and then another wad. Three rammings per shot
Ball or shot, I build my load at the muzzle. I only ram once, and don't have the issue of trapped air to deal with.

Latest posts

Back