• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting Bag Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the leather capper I made to hang around my neck back in the day when I shot my percussion rifle at Rendezvous. Back in the day I could much more easily hold my 12 lb Hawken rifle and see the targets.

1627142425505.jpeg

Evening all, how do you percussion guys carry your caps so you can easily get 1 when shooting? I can get everything I need pretty much into this little elk bag I bought last year from October Country, and get at everything in it to shoot in the field (as opposed to having all my stuff spread out on the bench at the range). Small ball bag, small snuff can with patches, ball starter, and nipple pick. The only other item is caps but those little tin cans are not easy to manage and sure don't want to dump it in the grass!

What are you guys doing? Thanks for the help.
View attachment 86314
We use a piece of leather cut in to a circle, and punched holes slightly smaller than the caps, with small leather strap for hanging where you please.

Evening all, how do you percussion guys carry your caps so you can easily get 1 when shooting? I can get everything I need pretty much into this little elk bag I bought last year from October Country, and get at everything in it to shoot in the field (as opposed to having all my stuff spread out on the bench at the range). Small ball bag, small snuff can with patches, ball starter, and nipple pick. The only other item is caps but those little tin cans are not easy to manage and sure don't want to dump it in the grass!

View attachment 86314

The leather capper is the best that I have found (except for revolvers). Quick, simple, easy to DIY and loads of ways to customize and personalize. I hang mine around the neck on a leather thong. The powder measure is on the same thong.

Now I'm going to get obnoxious. 😀

Not really, but I'm going to critique your methods a bit and I do realize that this is all about personal choice and preference so take it with a grain of salt.

You have your balls in a separate bag inside your shooting bag?? What's with that? It complicates the loading process. Just dump the balls in the shooting bag. It's easy to reach in and pull out a ball without having to get the ball out of ANOTHER bag while you presumably are also keeping one hand on the barrel or at least resting it across the crook of one arm?

We covered the caps above, but still keep extra caps in a cap tin in the bag. Put a couple of DRY patches in with the caps to prevent rattling if you are hunting.

Patches in a snuff can? Jeez, here we go again with the complications!! 😀 There are several ways to simplify your Patches and it will probably depend on what you are doing. For example, let's say you are shooting a trail walk or just roving and killing pinecones. Take a strip of greased (or whatever) Patches and cut a button hole in it. Button it to your shirt at the height of the muzzle. This entails cutting at the muzzle. If you don't cut at the muzzle, take a stack of pre- greased Patches and thread a big needle with stout string and push it through the center of the stack then fasten the string to a button or whatever and slide the Patches off one at a time as needed. For a hunt you can do the same or just have a wad or roll of patching in the bag. Wiping Patches loose or in a wad in the bag. Pull that first after the shot and pop one in your mouth while you're pulling the rod out. Wipe the bore and then do the reload. Just skip that if you reload without wiping.

All of my shooting bags have one or two pockets sewn inside. Shooting patch material and pre cut wiping Patches inside the inner pocket(s).

I've shot thousands upon thousands of balls in many cap guns and never used or even owned a nipple pick. Each shot fired should pretty much clear the nipple. If it doesn't, you may have an issue with Goomba in the breech under the powder. But, keep it in the bag if you need. Just drop it in with the balls.

In fact, just drop everything in the bag loose. It's easy to retrieve a ball as well as anything else you put in there.

Once again, this is personal preference but if I'm going hunting or trail walking or even to the range here's all that is inside the shooting bag: balls, tin of caps (muffled), wiping Patches, shooting Patches, nipple wrench. That's it. It's a shooting bag period. Anything else you need or want goes elsewhere.

Don't take this wrong. Hope the good humor shows through.

There's a lot of other views on the subject and I hope others will add on.

What size caps are wa talking about? If the tiny #11 type I suggest the so called Polish capper. It became a bit pricey since I bought mine. I paid $23 now it is almost $50. I don't know if I would have spent $50 on a capper, but I'm pretty happy I have one.

You can put over half a tin of 200 caps in it.
You simply cannot find a better capper than the POLISH CAPPER. It is well worth $50. That's what I paid for mine last year and have not regretted it AT ALL. It works flawlessly each and every time, you just can't beat it. I've wasted my time and money on straight line cappers, Cash Cappers, etc., all which are just junk when compared to the Polish Capper. Buy one and you'll use it the rest of your capping days. 'Nuff said...

Out at the range right now. Just got off 6 shots at 40 yds without making any trips back to the bench thanks to my little homemade capper. :) Self sufficient in the field. I did simplify and dump the balls in the shooting bag. All that’s in the bag now are lead, extra caps, CD301FEF-6997-4548-819B-17FE0CCE5F29.jpegstarter and patches.

View attachment 86314
I like your bag. Great question!!

Think I have simplified my shooting bag quite well now thanks to all the suggestions. I do like the little snuff can for my patches though and it's easy to use, I keep a little lube in the can as well. Lead balls are loose in the bottom of the bag, patch can, homemade ball starter, deerskin pouch to protect extra caps and my capper & measure on my powder horn strap. Very easy to carry and all accessible. Thanks again all.
Field Kit.jpeg

Think I have simplified my shooting bag quite well now thanks to all the suggestions. I do like the little snuff can for my patches though and it's easy to use, I keep a little lube in the can as well. Lead balls are loose in the bottom of the bag, patch can, homemade ball starter, deerskin pouch to protect extra caps and my capper & measure on my powder horn strap. Very easy to carry and all accessible. Thanks again all.
View attachment 86648
You can ditch the ball starter if you cone your weapon's muzzle.

For monthly club shoots where 35 or more shots are needed I use a Ted Cash revolver capper. It may hold close to 100 #11 percussion caps. Have several straight line cappers but don't like them as much. When hunting a quick loader holds patched round ball, powder and two percussion caps. When shooting flint I don't have to worry about them.

Latest posts

Back