• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting Bag Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahkapi'si

Frontier .50
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Evening all, how do you percussion guys carry your caps so you can easily get 1 when shooting? I can get everything I need pretty much into this little elk bag I bought last year from October Country, and get at everything in it to shoot in the field (as opposed to having all my stuff spread out on the bench at the range). Small ball bag, small snuff can with patches, ball starter, and nipple pick. The only other item is caps but those little tin cans are not easy to manage and sure don't want to dump it in the grass!

What are you guys doing? Thanks for the help.
Bighorn_bag__17371.1566852140.1280.1280.jpg

I've used brass straight line cappers for decades - a length of leather boot lace through the attached hoop will allow it to attach most anywhere on your person.

I carry mine vertically in a pocket with the lace hanging out of the pocket so all I have to do to access it is grab the lace & yank the capper out for use.

What size caps are wa talking about? If the tiny #11 type I suggest the so called Polish capper. It became a bit pricey since I bought mine. I paid $23 now it is almost $50. I don't know if I would have spent $50 on a capper, but I'm pretty happy I have one.

You can put over half a tin of 200 caps in it.

Since I shoot muskets most often, I'm wearing Civil War kit- belt, cap pouch, cartridge box and haversack with anything I might need on the line. For just plinking around at the range with a rifle that uses No 11, I have a couple inline cappers. These guys have several designs that are pretty good.

https://www.tdcmfg.com/shooting-supplies

Been looking at that exact bag to use with my 32 flinter,,would you buy it again after using it?Would be squirrel hunting with it.

What size caps are wa talking about? If the tiny #11 type I suggest the so called Polish capper. It became a bit pricey since I bought mine. I paid $23 now it is almost $50. I don't know if I would have spent $50 on a capper, but I'm pretty happy I have one.

You can put over half a tin of 200 caps in it.

The leather disc us what I use. It is very handy when hunting. I do make a cut from the hole to the outside and it works great. The cap is held securely but pulls away without any hesitation.
i make mine but gluing two pieces of leather together. Then using a leather punch of the right size for the holes. If you dont like the fuse. Cut it long instead of round.

Back