• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting at indoor ranges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th corps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am a member of a Conservation Club and shoot outdoors year around. However when the weather here in Indiana is particularly nasty-think winter-I put my blackpowder guns up and just shoot the other kind.
Do any of you shoot at public indoor ranges that allow blackpowder?

I live in Middle Tennessee and shoot my ML's at my local indoor range. It's a newer range with an excellent ventilation system. I do generate smoke but it clears rapidly. Most other shooters are more interested in the fact that I shoot ML's than they are bothered with the smoke. Go for it.

I don't know or heard of any indoor ranges that allow black powder shooting -- there MAYBE -- well I have just heard of one from Perf94 - how about that :ThankYou: :ghostly::thumb:

I am a member of a Conservation Club and shoot outdoors year around. However when the weather here in Indiana is particularly nasty-think winter-I put my blackpowder guns up and just shoot the other kind.
I have, and can, but no flintlocks. It was kind of odd at first, cuz the management originally said yes to flintlocks. Later on, they must have received other information or directive to change rules. Cap and ball, and percussion only is their rule now.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

I have, and can, but no flintlocks. It was kind of odd at first, cuz the management originally said yes to flintlocks. Later on, they must have received other information or directive to change rules. Cap and ball, and percussion only is their rule now.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸
One in georgia mad was featured in muzzle blast a while back as they were shooting a flintock . Peachtree city is where it is at. Do not know if they still allow it at this time.

One indoor range allowed a shooting match, ONCE. Several shooters fired a volley. The smoke just hung in front of the line. The shooters could not see the targets clearly. The exhaust fans could not handle the smoke quickly enough. As if that wasn't enough smoke, another volley sent burning powder down range. The seams in the cement floor contained unburned smokeless powder that had been swept into the cracks. Some embers lit off the smokeless powder and gave us a light show. Quite impressive. All shooting stopped until all of the loose powder was consumed.

Dont know of any indoor ranges around me that would allow black powder shooting. Even if any of them did I wouldnt go. I dont like shooting indoors period.

Hello Yes , some do . I shoot quite often at an indoor range here in central Calif,. Rifles and pistols.
The treat me just like everyone else.
I prefer outside when the weather is pleasant, but it isn`t always.
Just call arround and ask , oftentimes a bp shooter will work there.

Buzz

I agree with Grenadier 1758, shooting air guns are a great way to maintain your ML shooting skills. But beware, air guns are as addictive as ML's and come with expensive Big Boy toys!

I agree with Grenadier 1758, shooting air guns are a great way to maintain your ML shooting skills. But beware, air guns are as addictive as ML's and come with expensive Big Boy toys!

I shoot airguns as well. I have a RWS 56 TH, a Hammerli Pneuma precharged, RWS model 6 and 45, and a few others.

It depends on how the range is made. Unburned smokeless powder ignition is the only legitimate concern. IF you range uses a smash plate then it should be safe. IF it uses shredded rubber you might have an issue. IF they allow shooting very close to the backstop the rubber could have unburned smokeless powder in it. Igniting that powder could ignite the rubber. Personally I would not allow shooting closer than is reasonable, say 7-yards. Nobody asked me.

This is a good reason to stop and "upgrade" from smash plate to rubber. A range I use had a plate and "upgraded" to rubber. They then told the black powder club they were no longer allowed to shoot. A lot of guys quit the club over it.

One time I know of, the unburned smokeless in a floor crack ignited and slowly burned for several feet. No black powder was involved. Some individuals got all shook up and scared. They used this as an additional reason to ban black powder from the range. They seemed to have an irrational prejudice against black powder shooting before restrictions were made.

If the stations are too close together, flintlocks aren't likely to be welcomed bt the shooter to your right... I felt it only fair trade for the backwash from his muzzle brake - and that was at an outdoor range!

While loading, the muzzle is pointed up in a safe direction except for the roof of shooting range. The rifle is carried muzzle up to the firing line. At the firing line, the muzzle is pointed downrange more or less toward the target line to be primed or capped and put into the firing position.

Since it's so long between shots, with flinters, I warn the guy to my right as I'm about to shoot so he can step back. Most of the time they want to watch anyway, so appreciate the 10-15 second break in the action for them.

Oh, great. Two or three have suggested air rifles. So here is another class of accessory and accouterment added to all that each must have in order to satisfy the MLDA (Muzzle Loading Drug Addiction). And of course this next must-have accessory must include its own collection of accessories. Good. Great.

So I spent about an hour becoming familiar with better-quality air rifles. That is, better quality than an unmentionable Ruger that I have. :( And now I am aware of Benjamin, GAMO and RWS brands.

And ... a new definition for the acronym PCP. Interesting ... in light of the MLDA.

Last edited:
I called two indoor ranges that are reasonably close to me earlier this year and was told no BP by both, smokeless only. I didn't ask for details, but I assume it has something to do with their ventilation systems not being able to handle that quantity of smoke effectively.

Back