• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting all by one’s lonesome

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are 13 ML clubs in Florida and a very large gathering in January, should not be hard to find a group to shoot with.
Indoor ranges have an air filtration system. Black powder badly dirties up the filter and it must be changed. I have changed those filters. It is a dirty, nasty time-consuming job and they cost a lot. That is why most indoor ranges don't allow black powder shooters inside.

When I was 18 or 19 three friends/co workers and I used to go weekly out in the boonies and have a few hours of gun time. Then came back to one of the guy’s house and clean all the guns, have early dinner and a few beers with his folks. Then pack up and go home. That eventually changed as we went on different directions, jobs, got married etc.
Now it’s just all three of us, me myself and I.
Once in a while I visit a fellow retired cop and friend who is also a gun enthusiast and get to do some shooting on his big property about an hour way from me but he’s not into BP, only modern guns.

I have belonged to a black-powder-only club for over 30 years and have made friends and known people that I otherwise would have never met. It’s somewhat like reading this forum. Our range is about 75 miles away, but I consider that a small price for the privacy. We have monthly shoots and meetings and a Christmas party where we have a potluck dinner and gift exchange, always a good time. Only party you’ll ever attend and come home with a powder horn, hawk, can of powder, or blanket. People have gotten into bp shooting through the club who wouldn’t have otherwise

Shooting with a friend has become a weekly social. Mondays breakfast at 9am at a local diner, range from 10 AM to past 12 then coffee at the local DD. Wednesdays range from 9:30 or so to past 12 noon then lunch at different locations. Home usually by 2pm. Been doing this for several years now and I look forward to Mondays and Wednesdays.
Late Spring Summer and Fall, until the temperature drops, out doors, then indoors for winter and early spring. Both long retired so time is no problem.

My son was my shooting pal we used to go out to a friend's farm and spend a few hours cranking off a few tried to get him involved with black powder which we talked about it a few times which I'm new to it anyway even bought him a cap 50 hawken but before we could get things going he decided to end his life and now shooting doesn't really seem to fit in much anymore...

I try to shoot alone every time. Other people around me with loaded guns makes me nervous. I was a range master for a lot of years. It is no longer my job to supervise an adult day care, and I'm trying to make the most of it. When I'm shooting alone the only person I need to worry about is me. Come to think of it, I love shooting alone. Same for hunting, with the exception of my daughter.

When I was 18 or 19 three friends/co workers and I used to go weekly out in the boonies and have a few hours of gun time. Then came back to one of the guy’s house and clean all the guns, have early dinner and a few beers with his folks. Then pack up and go home. That eventually changed as we went on different directions, jobs, got married etc.
Now it’s just all three of us, me myself and I.
Once in a while I visit a fellow retired cop and friend who is also a gun enthusiast and get to do some shooting on his big property about an hour way from me but he’s not into BP, only modern guns.
I used to shoot years ago in the state of N.J. and despite their crazy gun laws there were plenty of people to shoot with and places nearby to shoot at. Now in the far western part of the country that I now live, finding shooting partners (black powder) is not easy at all.

Yes, although I did get off a couple of shots last winter at -25C which is -13F. Just wanted to see how the flintlock sparked....it worked fine, can't say the same for my fingers. :)
I've had similar results here in Nebraska once it goes below freezing; range is mine alone and so are the numb fingers. I just bring along a thermos of hot coffee and warm up in the Jeep. If it's too cold, I call it a day and shoot again the next week. The old timers didn't have those options, so I suppose they were a tougher breed.

I've had similar results here in Nebraska once it goes below freezing; range is mine alone and so are the numb fingers. I just bring along a thermos of hot coffee and warm up in the Jeep. If it's too cold, I call it a day and shoot again the next week. The old timers didn't have those options, so I suppose they were a tougher breed.
But they didn't spend a couple hours practicing - mostly concentrated on keeping warm - no Thinsulate back then.

Back