• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting all by one’s lonesome

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot alone in my backyard mostly. I use to shoot with a group of older gentlemen mostly squirrel hunting with BP only. They would not allow cartridge guns. I still remember the first time shooting with them. The test was to hit a coke can on a fence post at 50 yards. I remember being very nervous that I may miss. I had only shot the gun a few times and at around 25 yards. I squeezed off the shot and the can flew off the post. They all laughed and said we were all betting that you would miss. Then one of them told me to be the spotter on the insuring squirrel hunt. Meaning spot the squirrel in the tree and letting them all shot first, I got to shot last. I was told I had to earn my stripes.
Those hunts were never about who could kill the most. They were about fellowship and enjoying being in the outdoors. As I get older I understand where they were coming from. They knew their seasons were numbered and just enjoyed shooting. I do miss shooting with them, they were a fun knowledgeable group.

And I do have a couple of buddies who shoot MLs but we can't get together all that frequently. In the past I did my shooting alone and was often teased by my friends who used state-of-the-art magnum rifles. When I asked myself to go shooting I never turned the invitation down. :cool:

I am new to muzzleloading, and enjoying it very much! And like the newbie I am, I walked into an indoor range with my smoke pole. Big mistake! They looked at me like I was nuts, and promptly showed me the door. I located one of only two outdoor ranges, and taught myself how to charge and discharge my weapon. I was the only guy with a muzzleloader. I have been back several times, everybody was and is very cool, but I appear to be the only guy sporting a front stuffer. The club had one morning a month set aside for a bragging rights only muzzleloading match. But not anymore. It would be more fun to shoot with other black powder guys, but I take what I can get.

Question: short of a rendezvous, do most of you guys shoot alone?
Shadowalker
When I started I had a couple good mentors, they taught me the basics of pistol , rifle, and even cannon but then they moved away, far away and suddenly the only "muzzleloaders" I new were ones that don't stuff lead down on their powder. Being, at that time, in Los Angels I only had one range that allowd BP....they were always friendly but only ones I could get to go did not have any muzzleloaders of their own (least none that were service worthy) - I got tired of supplying the weapons, the powder, the lead, and doing all the cleaning...so I began to just shoot alone.
Then I met a Great group at Rendezvous but they were a good 3+ hour drive Each way..

Now I have moved to a much more 'firearm friendly' state but have found it's not so friendly for supplies, even before the pandemic. But that's okay, I have mail order access and Lots of open Public Land....two local ranges where all are friendly enough but no muzzleloaders.

I know there is a small group local here but due to an injury, then the pandemic, on top of the last two summers being Smoked out by our neighboring state......I still shoot alone.

I guess I have just gotten used to it. Dont get me wrong, I don't mind sharing some supplies now and then....but when it's always just one way, I would rather spend 4 or 5 hours in open land, leisurely shooting, pick up after myself (one group here I took out, took off early and left me to clean up, After, again, I supplied the powder and lead...).

It is a fantastic place to shoot....you can shoot about any type of firearm you want there.
I was really amazed with how much penetration you were getting from down to 5 grains of powder with your GPR. I was really surprised that it went all the way through on almost all of the tries.

Back