• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shootin' Contest Round 5 August

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to clean? What is that all about? I can clean my BP revolvers faster than my modern ones.

Remove the cylinder, and take all six nipples out, dumping the nipples into a small glass of water with a drop of soap in it. Then drop the cylinder into the bucket of soap and water, or into your sink. Then dunk the barrel in soap and water, and use a bore brush to knock out any lead and remove powder residue. Wipe the outside of the barrel of residue, and run a cleaning patch with soap and water down the barrel to remove the last of any residue. Rinse the barrel with clean water, and dry with a couple of cleaning patches.

Use those same now damp cleaning patches to clean the frame of the revolver, adding soap if you need to get crud out of corners. I use a small blade screw driver, or my pocket knife to fish the patches into corners, and dig out the crud. A toothbrush does the rest. Rind the frame off and let it dry. Use cleaning patches and that bore brush to work on the chambers. Then dry them with clean patches, oil, and the cylinder is ready to go back into the frame. I oil the frame and moving parts, check screws to make sure they are not backing out, oil the barrel lightly for storage. Then I use the toothbrush on the six nipple, dry and oil them, and put them back in the cylinder. The cylinder goes back into the gun. Function of the revolver is rechecked, and oil on a cleaning patch is wiped over the whole barrel, frame, and cylinder assembly, and the gun is ready for storage.

It takes as much time, and often longer to clean modern revolvers, particular if I have been shooting cast bullets. Then, I have to soak the barrel in lead solvent for 15-30 minutes, and only then can I begin the cleaning process. Same with the throats in each of the chamber. They also have to soak in lead solvent for that time, before I can clean the lead out of them. Lead splatter at the Cylinder/barrel gap puts lead on the bottom of the topstrap, the back of the barrel, and the face of the cylinder. All need to be cleaned to insure proper function the next time the gun is shot. That takes much more time than cleaning a BP revolver.

paulvallandigham said:
Hard to clean? What is that all about? I can clean my BP revolvers faster than my modern ones.

Paul, nothin's easier than shootin the thing then havin fat jack clean it fer ya. Ol' Jackson likes to take his guns to the shower with him. I figgur iffin I can shoot at least once a month he'll smell a lot better. :blah: :rotf: GW

I only get in the shower ifen its Saturday night, otherwise I just pour dish soap down the barrel and let them soak for a spell!!! As for your pistol, I clean it in the toilet and you can guess what I put down the barrel!!!! :rotf: :hatsoff:

fat jack said:
I only get in the shower ifen its Saturday night, otherwise I just pour dish soap down the barrel and let them soak for a spell!!! As for your pistol, I clean it in the toilet and you can guess what I put down the barrel!!!! :rotf: :hatsoff:

:bow: :bow: :bow: Gall Dang it!!!
You Winton Charickters.....Are my kinda people!!!!I only wish we was less than 3000 miles away! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: You guys are great!!!

Halftail said:
fat jack said:
Fat Jack may be onta somthin here. I read where the old timers used to pee down the barrels that had been "shot smoothe" to get the accuracy back.

Jack make sure ya flush twice and then dobb some bear oil onit. :thumbsup:

:bow: :bow: :bow: Gall Dang it!!!
You Winton Charickters.....Are my kinda people!!!!I only wish we was less than 3000 miles away! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: You guys are great!!!

Halftail, this aint the California where kids surf to school and back. :rotf: :rotf: GW

Claude said:
Grey Whiskers said:
Halftail, this aint the California where kids surf to school and back. :rotf: :rotf: GW

When I was a kid, we had to surf to school barefoot, in the snow. :wink:
Up hill both ways I supose??? :grin:

Claude said:
Grey Whiskers said:

yer parents couldn't afford gas either?? :shocked2: :wink:

soggy said:
Claude said:
Grey Whiskers said:

Up hill both ways I supose??? :grin:

All the while fending off a grizzly bear with nothing but a spiral notebook... :blah: :rotf:

Claude said:
While doing some research of old school records I came across this photo from the 50's
CopyofSurferDude.jpg

Jim/OH, I took my shot today. Used the ROA to make it a heads up contest. Shot a bit to the left like you did. Guess it's up to Jethro to see who's gonna get to shoot at MM56. Good luck. GW

Up to the minute results!

Fresh Meat Bracket;

Still Healthy......................Wounded
Mountainman56......................Bye
Jim/OH 1.315"......................GW 1.500"

It's just a scratch GW. You'll be OK soon as the nurse takes a look at ya and gives ya a bandaid. :haha:

Good shootin' by both of ya! :hatsoff: And it was an Old Army shootout too. :thumbsup:

Good shootin GW, :thumbsup: it was really close, but not quite good enough. :bow: Now . . . I guess I have to take on Mountainman 56. Well, I've used two of my pistols, and three of my rifles so far, so I wonder what he will use? Could put on the T.C. Hawken's .45 barrel with peep sights on it. I haven't shot it in a while. Ok Mountainman, you've been sitting back for too long, ya ready for a shootin contest? Good Luck, see ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

"Here's the rules;

Any traditional muzzleloading rifle, smoothbore, pistol, or revolver, with open sights, firing a single traditional projectile is legal for this contest."

Huh?.....what?......dang, I was having a good nap. :snore:

I guess I've been cheating. I've used the same rifle on all my targets but one. Come to think of it I have a peep sight setup for my GPR. :hmm: although it sounds lie that rule maker, scorekeeper dude frowns on the peep sight thing. :haha: Actually I think maybe it's time to dust off the old 1851 Navy and see if I remember how to shoot it. Last time I used it I hit where I was looking but I'm pretty sure it was an accident.

Good luck to ya Jim/OH

Latest posts

Back