• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shootable or deathtrap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be interested in some more specifics on the oversized breaches also. The only measuring I have done is with the eyeball. I had a Pedersoli M1777 Charleville that never looked right to me. I compared it to an original owned by a friend, and the size difference was striking. I sold the Pedersoli soon after. Since then, I have heard the other Italian muskets suffer from this problem--particularly the Civil War Springfields and the flintlock Charlevilles. Look at a side-view of a Pedersoli M1763 Charleville and then compare it to the side-view of an original. The difference is quite obvious. This is what happens when gun design is dictated by lawyers (being a lawyer, I can say this).

My personal solution is to build my own muskets. I am pretty handy when it comes to making these things and have completed three already. I am putting together a M1816 at present--many original parts, premium barrel, black walnut stock, correct markings and it will look and feel like an original. The cost in parts will be less than the cost of a Pedersoli.

I agree, build your own - if possible. I finished an 1817 Common Rifle last summer, it is sweet & I'll probably never see anyone else with anything close to it. That being said, I did machine my own breechplug, machine a new tumbler, scratch build the buttplate, machine the ramrod and cut & weld 2 barrel bands. Either it was a labor of love or a fight to see which one of us would live to see the end!
I have seen old Gun Digest articles showing kids in Pakistan holding barrels between their toes and shaping (sawing?) on them with metal rasps. You definitely get that handmade look, especially when the right big toe is out of spec. I have seen photos of the 3rd Model Brown Bess from India & it looks as much as a real one, as a Ford Pinto looks like a Ferrari. Mike

"Well, this oversized breech thing is interesting. In general contemporary guns have much smaller breeches than originals did'

Yeah...what he said, how big are the breeches on these guns most quality American made barrels are much smaller than the originals on French and many non-English smoothbores and most rifles as well.....not bashing the Italian stuff, I love spaget, just curious.

well here goes nothing - this is going to be interesting - my first photo post.
PDR_1167x.jpg
[/img]
PDR_1168-c.jpg
[/img]
PDR_1169-c.jpg
[/img]
PDR_1172-c.jpg
[/img]
Forgot to add that I machined all the screws, including the wood screws.

I was wondering why the thing wouldn't shoot? Photos were taken when I was completing the lock. Naturally the Japanese digital camera I had (rhymns with Mo-shiba) committed seppuku :cursing: (hari-kari to you fans of WW2 films) before the rifle was finished. Mike

Latest posts

Back