• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WITHDRAWN Shoot-able Art by Keith Casteel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Elaborate and beautiful rifle by Keith Casteel.

The rifle features a 35-inch 50 cal brass barrel by Bill Large, octagon to 16-sided back to octagon with bands at transition. Sights are a rear buckhorn and decorative front with ivory inset.

Lock is a British armory marked 1835 tower musket flintlock. The cock, top jaw and lock plate are all highly engraved with animal/hunting themed inlays. I suspect this lock was chosen for it’s thick plate with hidden frizzen spring –allowing the entire surface to be engraved and inlay brass. The frizzen has been resurfaced. The lock functions very well and fires with the slightest touch of the trigger.

Stock is a nicely figured with both incised and raised carving. Metal to wood finish on the rifle is exceptional. There is wire inlay surrounding the engraved patchbox, as well as on the comb and fore of the long toe plate. The toe has two mother-of-pearl inlays and a very nice finial. Butt plate is engraved, with some discoloration in the brass at the heel. An inlay brass woman’s face adorns the cheek rest and just below is a bit of turned antler that holds a vent pick. The ram rod has a turned antler tip.

This rifle has been fired. There is some discoloration around the vent and a small scratch under the cheek, generally hard to see.

This certainly isn’t for everyone –it is fancy and, although it shoots, it’s for the collector who enjoys firearms as art as well as function and form.

Attachments

• CMFL1.jpg
    CMFL1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 519
  • CMFL2.jpg
    CMFL2.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 523
  • CMFL3.jpg
    CMFL3.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 493
  • CMFL4.jpg
    CMFL4.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 499
  • CMFL5.jpg
    CMFL5.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 480
  • CMFL6.jpg
    CMFL6.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 482
  • CMFL8.jpg
    CMFL8.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 464
  • CMFL9.jpg
    CMFL9.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 452
  • CMFL10.jpg
    CMFL10.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 453
  • CMFL11.JPG
    CMFL11.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
A few more photos. Scratch under the cheek is not very deep and can only be seen when the rifle is inverted.

Attachments

• CMFL_Scratch.JPG
    CMFL_Scratch.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 174
  • CMFL7.jpg
    CMFL7.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 172
  • CMFL12.JPG
    CMFL12.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 172
  • CMFL13.JPG
    CMFL13.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 159
  • CMFL14.JPG
    CMFL14.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 161
  • CMFL15.JPG
    CMFL15.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 157
Mindfull of my above mention if not directly related I once made a very English rifle half stocked late flint in Melbourne with an uncommon pistol hand the wood being Shedua an African wood I happened to have . I took it over to the US and left it with Dixons where it sold
I was at an Eastern R vous I think the following year and the owner sought me out . Im'e thinking what's wrong?. But he wanted to thank me & show the silver wire inlay done after sale by Kieth Casteele .I thought it totally out of keeping with the under stated quality of the rifles style . But the customer is allways right & he clearly delighted with the both of us. so all was well.
Regards Rudyard

Great additional information from Rudyard on the Manton lock used on this rifle. I will say the springs are very stout, and the pan looks like it could hold 10-12 grains of powder. Mr Casteel is known for his engraving and carving skills -critiques are that it is sometimes too much and his guns are more like european guns than what would have been common in the colonies and early 1800's.
Took out the macro lens and a few additional pictures...

Attachments

• CMFL16.JPG
    CMFL16.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 47
  • CMFL17.JPG
    CMFL17.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 48
  • CMFL18.JPG
    CMFL18.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 47
This may not be the right audience for this item. Looks more like an item at a high end auction in Vegas.
There may be a few forum members that have an interest and wherewithal for something like this.
I wanted to start here, but will take the rifle to a few shows over the next few months -beginning with the 18th Century Artisan Show in Lewisburg PA this Saturday. I may or may not find a collector or dealer, or maybe a dealer that will take it on consignment. Last option is auction.
With each step away from private sale, both the buyer and I give a larger chunk of the transaction to a third party (fees, premiums, taxes). Why give 3 to 4K to broker the transaction if it could be avoided...

Elaborate and beautiful rifle by Keith Casteel.

The rifle features a 35-inch 54 cal brass barrel by Bill Large, octagon to 16-sided back to octagon with bands at transition. Sights are a rear buckhorn and decorative front with ivory inset.

Lock is a British armory marked 1835 tower musket flintlock. The cock, top jaw and lock plate are all highly engraved with animal/hunting themed inlays. I suspect this lock was chosen for it’s thick plate with hidden frizzen spring –allowing the entire surface to be engraved and inlay brass. The frizzen has been resurfaced. The lock functions very well and fires with the slightest touch of the trigger.

Stock is a nicely figured with both incised and raised carving. Metal to wood finish on the rifle is exceptional. There is wire inlay surrounding the engraved patchbox, as well as on the comb and fore of the long toe plate. The toe has two mother-of-pearl inlays and a very nice finial. Butt plate is engraved, with some discoloration in the brass at the heel. An inlay brass woman’s face adorns the cheek rest and just below is a bit of turned antler that holds a vent pick. The ram rod has a turned antler tip.

This rifle has been fired. There is some discoloration around the vent and a small scratch under the cheek, generally hard to see.

This certainly isn’t for everyone –it is fancy and, although it shoots, it’s for the collector who enjoys firearms as art as well as function and form. Casteel’s guns don’t often come up for sale, but I believe I have a fair idea of the value of this, and am asking $18,000. Would also consider trades or trades plus cash -my current interests are Bucks county flint, in 50 or 54, or a 62 fowler, A Verner or E Bloom style. Apologies to international friends, but buyers in the USA only.
My God!

Latest posts

Back