• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shoootin' a hog with a flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stony Broke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was thinking this morning that it's been quite a while since I shot a hog with a flintlock pistol, so I loaded up this one with 35 gr. of 3f and a PRB. I'll start hunting using it tomorrow and we'll see how it plays out. I've shot hogs with percussion pistols occasionally but this pistol is a .62 Sitting Fox smoothbore. My hog count is up to #803 right now and hopefully whenever #804 shows up I can put it to work.
ZNFz8R8l.jpg

I have actually shot hogs with a .40 and a .54 in percussion. I actually shot one with a pistol just like this one that I owned in the past. I traded for this one recently from a guy that got it from me some time back. I think I can pull it off again....it's just a matter of getting the hog within a reasonable distance and in a good position. I normally try for head shots with pistols, but with this smoothbore I think I will have a better chance shooting it from the side, as I don't think I could get the accuracy I would want for the head shot.
I've nailed hogs with all kinds of calibers with more modern guns, but I do love the challenge of the muzzleloaders.

I was out sitting in my stand when the sun came up this morning, Still no hog came by, but I did have a pretty little doe wander by on a trail about 15 yards from me. Gotta have a hog out there one day.....

Still haven't had a hog wander by in a distance where I could have a chance with that pistol, but I'm still trying now and then.

Kinda been tempted to try eating a calf lately !! A guys cows have gotten on the property and he can't figure out how to get them back, and I certainly can't ! I caught a second calf in a hog trap yesterday and they are cleaning up every kernel of corn they can find. I am surprised they haven't knocked over the feeder yet.

Latest posts

Back