• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shoe packs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made these back in Dec 2017. I was doing a little research on winter moccasins and stumbled on the Ligonier shoe pack. I also found info on shoe packs from Shadows in the forest(Snowalker13) on youtube. These took some time and a couple trial runs with and old cheap wool blanket...before cutting up the elk hide. They turned out great and are warm. Besides the wool bootie to add warmth i also made an insole that can be removed. The insole adds padding and warmth. Its double sueded elk hide with 2 layers of wool sewn to it. I tested them on a Woods walk in January in temp range from 4 to 14 deg! The guys thought i was nut s for testing them then to see if they would be warm!
E332B801-E0EB-4BA3-A271-8929ED6FC8B3.jpeg

I made these back in Dec 2017. I was doing a little research on winter moccasins and stumbled on the Ligonier shoe pack. I also found info on shoe packs from Shadows in the forest(Snowalker13) on youtube. These took some time and a couple trial runs with and old cheap wool blanket...before cutting up the elk hide. They turned out great and are warm. Besides the wool bootie to add warmth i also made an insole that can be removed. The insole adds padding and warmth. Its double sueded elk hide with 2 layers of wool sewn to it. I tested them on a Woods walk in January in temp range from 4 to 14 deg! The guys thought i was nut s for testing them then to see if they would be warm!View attachment 57769
Nice job! Where did you get your pattern?

Smo, i treated them but i can’t remember with what. It could have been Montana Pitch Blend or mink tallow.

Jeager, Making the Ligonier Shoepack

So i refrenced this and also Shadows in the Forest(Snowalker13) on youtube, just forget which video he makes them in. He’s decription in the video for making them is easy to follow.

I made a pair very similar, and also found them to be very warm. Mine are made of moose and have two soles. I also made a liner of blanket with three soles.
shoepacs2c.jpg

There is a report from an archaeological dig at Fort Ligonier of a three-piece moccasin very much like these, so the design is apparently good, HC. The name of them may not be. I always called mine "shoepacks". but then I found a description of what was called shoepacks in the day, and that was quite different. It is from Notes on the Settlement and Indian Wars of the Western Parts of Virginia and Pennsylvania from 1763 to 1783, by Joseph Doddridge.

"Almost every family contained its own tailors and shoemakers. Those who could not make shoes, could make shoepacks. These, like moccasons [sic], were made of a single piece of leather with the exception of a tongue piece on the top of the foot. This was about two inches broad and circular at the lower end. To this the main piece of leather was sewed, with a gathering stitch. The seam behind was like that of a moccason [sic]. To the shoepack a sole was sometimes added."

So, made like a moccasin except that it had a vamp, a tongue, like a modern shoe:
FurMoc5a.JPG

Spence

Very nice! I've been wanting to make a pair since I read about them in Mark Baker's book A Pilgrims Journey.

Back