• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shockey's gold?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is this stuff junk? I bought some when I first got my t/c hawken about a year ago. I sighted in this gun with it and found a decent load. However, when its time to shoot I would have to adjust my sights for each range session. I sighted it in a few days ago getting 3in group at 75yrds. Friday evening took a 50 yard shot a a doe COMPLETE MISS! :cursing:
I then went to the range and it's shooting epicly low? I have been extra careful when handling the rifle and sights because its deer season. Only thing i can think is the powder is garbage i have read mixed reveiws on the stuff but now i think i know now.

Local experience with it is that it deteriorates really fast after you open the container. A year later velocities are really down, so I'm not surprised that you're getting those results. Could be your batch is on the fast downhill slide. I have a buddy up here who really likes it, but he's a hunter only and doesn't shoot between seasons. He dumps his out at the end of each season and starts fresh each year, figuring it's just the cost of "doing business." Go figger.

Exactly what brown bear said, try pyrodex or 777, they will also deteriorate over time but seem to have better consistency. If you can, try to get some real bp, it will last forever as long as you keep it dry.

bigmac said:
Is this stuff junk?
Yup.
Too my knowledge he hooked up with American Pioneer and they in cahoots made a "premium version" of that lawn fertilizer,,
and are selling it at a premium price to the unknowing masses

I would be suspect of anything with Shockey's name on it. Hes a hired gun pimping out his name to the highest bidder..

It's by far not the best powder on the market. Get a can of Tripple Seven and you will have better luck. If you weight up your charges at home rather than take the can to the range and leave it open, damp air can't attack your powder.

Get a supply of "real black" if you can and you`ll have far less problems. I do understand it can be hard, if not impossible to find in some areas though. If that is your case, I`d go with Pyrodex over shockey`s anyday.
I`ve had the same basic problems with all the subs. They`re harder to ignite than black and they deteriorate if you don`t use the whole can fairly quick. I don`t go through powder near as fast as some guys here, so the second was always my biggest problem. Pyrodex has been the most "workable" of the subs for me. Go with real black though and you`ll never go back.

The only gold involved is your gold going into Shockey's pocket. The stuff truely is worthless.

One of my local gun shops has a large screen TV on the wall and they always have a hunting show playing. Most of the time it's Jim Shockey hunting with his high-tech 'still a muzzleloader'. After every kill, his big mug is there on the screen saying how wonderful his 'gold' powder is. I can count on hearing his spiel almost every time I go there. I wonder if he's ever held onto one can long enough to see how it performs after a little time has passed.

Rifleman1776 said:
Somebody should invent a subsitute for subsitute powders that won't deteiorate over time and call it... :hmm: .... Ah-ha...black powder. :grin:

Blackhorn209. Puts all other black powder and subs to shame!

Shockey's Gold................it makes good fertilizer! :rotf: :rotf:

Seriously when I first started shooting that was all all I could get my hands on. If you don't know a lot about percussion rifles then you would think they are not to much based on the results I was getting with Shockey's Gold.
To say I was less than pleased with the results would be an understatement. The fouling was terrible with it.
I listened to what was being said on this site and after learning a few things I once again tried to purchase real BP. I finally found a local establishment that carried real BP and purchased some 2ff Geox. The change in the fouling ignition and everything else involved with shooting a percussion rifle was like night and day!!!!!!!!!

I still had the Shockey's and I took it out and dug a trench around some plants in the yard and dumped it in and the flowers loved. So to me that is the best place for the $#@&........ah fertilizer that Shockey sells.

Kentuckywindage said:

Oh ya switched? I thought you where that American Pioneer was the best stuff guy?
Remember all the photo's you posted?

Let's see, :idunno: 209, ain't that a modern shotgun primer?
Did Blackhorn get their plant up and running again after the explosion?

necchi said:
Kentuckywindage said:

Oh ya switched? I thought you where that American Pioneer was the best stuff guy?
Remember all the photo's you posted?

Let's see, :idunno: 209, ain't that a modern shotgun primer?
Did Blackhorn get their plant up and running again after the explosion?

I shot a lot of APP and still do shoot a decent amount of it in the sidelocks. Never once said it was the best, but its good to see that you like to think so. Shot some 3f APP yesterday and did pretty darn good but still more load development to come.

I haven't shot the sidelock yet with BH209 and patched round balls but that is going to happen! I am really interested in seeing how it does with the lubed patch.I may give that a try in a day or 2. Still working on some loads in the Hawken with Pyrodex RS. :thumbsup:

Rat Trapper said:
... Get a can of Tripple Seven and you will have better luck. If you weight up your charges at home rather than take the can to the range and leave it open, damp air can't attack your powder.

I'm sure you didn't actually mean a person is supposed to "weigh up" their charges on a scale.

People must remember that ALL of the substitute powders are meant to be measured using a black powder volume measure.

All of the synthetic black powders like Pyrodex, 777, Shockey's stuff etc weigh less per cc. than real black powder so, if a person does actually weigh out, say, 100 grains of the stuff on a weight scale the powder load will have the volume and energy of 133 grains (or more) of black powder.
That could not only ruin a shooters groups but with some heavy slugs it could be downright dangerous.

I'm sure you knew this but some folks reading the post might get the idea that it is safe to actually weigh out their synthetic black powder loads.

Kentuckywindage said:
Rifleman1776 said:
Somebody should invent a subsitute for subsitute powders that won't deteiorate over time and call it... :hmm: .... Ah-ha...black powder. :grin:

Blackhorn 209 is no good in a traditional muzzle loader. Of the subs out there as far as I'm concerned, Tripple Seven is the best. Tripple Seven can not only be shot inlines, but also in traditional cap locks.

Zonie said:
Rat Trapper said:
... Get a can of Tripple Seven and you will have better luck. If you weight up your charges at home rather than take the can to the range and leave it open, damp air can't attack your powder.

I'm sure you didn't actually mean a person is supposed to "weigh up" their charges on a scale.

People must remember that ALL of the substitute powders are meant to be measured using a black powder volume measure.

All of the synthetic black powders like Pyrodex, 777, Shockey's stuff etc weigh less per cc. than real black powder so, if a person does actually weigh out, say, 100 grains of the stuff on a weight scale the powder load will have the volume and energy of 133 grains (or more) of black powder.
That could not only ruin a shooters groups but with some heavy slugs it could be downright dangerous.

I'm sure you knew this but some folks reading the post might get the idea that it is safe to actually weigh out their synthetic black powder loads.

Good point and I admit my post wasn't worded correctly. I was trying to say to you should use your powder measure to make up some loads inside away from damp air. If a person wishes to use a powder scale to weight up loads they must first use their powder measure to get an average of what the powder weights at their setting. Then only use the average weight when weighting up a sub. If you want to get the most out of a sub powder, you have to keep the can/bottle sealed up.
Don't leave out on the table at the range with the top off.

And never hunt when humidity is above 15%. :haha:
I've read several accounts of old time hunters who spread their powder out to dry in the sun and some dried it in an oven. I wonder how that would work with the subs?
NO, I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE DRY ANY POWDER IN YOUR HOME OVEN.

well i was unable to find anything to replace the stuff and resight in time.Jim's manure cost me my winter ven. Not so happy about that. Live and learn i guess. At least it was an average Doe and not a trophy buck.

bigmac said:
well i was unable to find anything to replace the stuff and resight in time.Jim's manure cost me my winter ven. Not so happy about that. Live and learn i guess. At least it was an average Doe and not a trophy buck.

Schlockey's Mold?..... er ...... I mean Shockey's Gold?

It's so bad here in our high humidity climate that all local stores quit carrying it. Loud customer voices have kind of sensitized store owners to the name Schlockey..... er, I mean Shockey.

Back