• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipping Restricted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would respectfully suggest each buyer first check with a real authority (like a state's Attorney General) in their respective state's as to whether or not it's legal to directly accept a muzzleloader in their state - instead of being directed by some entity listening to their lawyers.

That said, each business has the right to conduct business as they see fit - if anyone doesn't care for way one (or more) of them conduct it, it's upon the buyer to choose to do business elsewhere.

Once upon a time, I had Cabela's website refuse my order for a BP revolver, stating it was illegal in my state for me to receive it directly (not so) - so I simply ordered the same revolver (and received it) from Bass Pro's website.

Last edited:
Of all the States , California is at least tied for the least restrictive laws concerning black powder guns. You can't get in trouble shipping them or having them shipped to California.
But firearms have stricter laws in California compared to most States. A blackpowder gun is not a firearm under California import and purchase laws. It's like shipping or receiving a ball point pen or a box of Kleenex. No laws, no issues.

You arent even correct in your line line here bud. You heard it third hand on the internet.

I would respectfully suggest each buyer first check with a real authority (like a state's Attorney General) in their respective state's as to whether or not it's legal to directly accept a muzzleloader in their state - instead of being directed by some entity listening to their lawyers.

That said, each business has the right to conduct business as they see fit - if anyone doesn't care for way one (or more) of them conduct it, it's upon the buyer to choose to do business elsewhere.

Once upon a time, I had Cabela's website refuse my order for a BP revolver, stating it was illegal in my state for me to receive it directly (not so) - so I simply ordered the same revolver (and received it) from Bass Pro's website.
I agree with you but i believe it is the sellers responsibility. If we were sellinga. long gun to an out of state resident we were required to call the state of resident attorney general. We were the seller. Buyer usually hoping we did not check.

Is the point of this thread to inform others of your own shipping policy, or are you trying to make a representation of the laws of these jurisdictions?

That a shop has any particular policies on shipping does not necessarily mean that policy is the law of a jurisdiction. It is misleading to post a shop's policy and make it seem as if it reflects a jurisdiction's law. It may simply be the policy of a shop and nothing more than that. The boroughs of NYC and DC, for example, are well-known problem jurisdictions, but some of the others on the list appear to me to reflect the shop's own policy and not necessarily law. If local laws are the point of discussion, it does not belong in this area and should be in the legal or general areas perhaps.

If this post is merely to state that this is a policy you are adopting personally, then put it in each ad you post. Your policy is your own, and that's fine, but don't portray a particular shop's policy as reflective of black letter law. Do the research before making such a representation.

there is no problem shipping to nassau or suffolk co. on long island . only brooklyn [ kings] or queens co.[ they are part of n.y.c.] that is only half of long island. i quess when these places do not really know they would rather be safe than sorry. but , them not really knowing is loosing them money and causing customers grief. if you want to be sure call a f.f.l. dealer in that zip code and ask.

I will check tomorrow with the local authorities. I have no shipping policies (I'm not a dealer) I'm just an old guy who wants to dispose of his BP collection before he dies. God knows if I had known I would have to take all these insults and ridicule from my supposed peers I'd dump the rest in my burn barrel and be done with it. Disregard anything I have said in this post, I am sorry to take up space here and just consider that an old guy reacted to what I have been told by 2 dealers who said they won't ship because of local laws, and a respected guy on this forum who warned me. That was good enough for me. I really don't understand where you guys are coming from or why you are so angry these days, but nothing pleases you. It's like you are just waiting for an opportunity to stab and kill somebody. It really makes no difference if I had contacted every agency on the list, I still couldn't have done enough for you. So go insult someone else. I'm gone.................

I have known Lee Weyhrich (Owner of Old South Firearms) for years, his shop is 4 miles over the mountain from me.

Old South Firearms gives a more definitive list of restricted areas on his website under "Shipping Policy". Read below and compare to what you listed above.

Old South Firearms Shipping Policy
WARNING: Black powder firearms cannot be shipped directly to Canada, Ohio*, Washington D.C., Massachusets, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Delaware or New Jersey, See Footnotes for the following locatons: *New York City; Bronx, Kings, Staten Island, Manhattan, Nassau, New York, Queens, Richmond, Long Island **Illinois and Washington State ***Michigan and Maryland , *****California.

California: We will not ship firearms to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Santa Ana, Berkeley, Tiburon, Carson, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Oakland, Orange County, Marin County, Loyo County, Contra Costa County, Ventura County, or Napa County, except to an FFL dealer. Please check your local regulations for all other locations before ordering. It is your responsibility to know and understand the laws regarding firearms in your area.

* Will ship to the rest of New York State, contingent on state and local requirements.

** Illinois and Washington state: Will ship to a local FFL Dealer of your choice. Call before placing your order.

*** Michigan and Maryland: Revolvers may not be shipped, all other black powder firearms are OK with the exceptions of Annapolis and Baltimore.

*Ohio, we realize there is no law against black powder items, but your state sued Cabela's because a felon got a black powder gun. The case cost them millions. We don't have the money to even fight the state of Ohio.

For all other states, please review your state and local laws before ordering any blackpowder firearms.
Just to correct a mis-statement here. Ohio did not sue Cabela's. Cabela's was sued by the Brady Campaign in support of the family of the victim. The lawsuit occured in Ohio but Ohio was not a party to the suit.

I will check tomorrow with the local authorities. I have no shipping policies (I'm not a dealer) I'm just an old guy who wants to dispose of his BP collection before he dies. God knows if I had known I would have to take all these insults and ridicule from my supposed peers I'd dump the rest in my burn barrel and be done with it. Disregard anything I have said in this post, I am sorry to take up space here and just consider that an old guy reacted to what I have been told by 2 dealers who said they won't ship because of local laws, and a respected guy on this forum who warned me. That was good enough for me. I really don't understand where you guys are coming from or why you are so angry these days, but nothing pleases you. It's like you are just waiting for an opportunity to stab and kill somebody. It really makes no difference if I had contacted every agency on the list, I still couldn't have done enough for you. So go insult someone else. I'm gone.................

Stay Calm

You passed on what you were told. That was very kind of you. Even if inaccurate, you were trying to help us out, so thanks.

For others reading this it doesn't matter what actually is the law, when the dealer thinks the law is more restrictive.
A private company can refuse to ship for a number of reasons.

This was moved to Vendors because it's regarding a vendor in a specific location and other vendors in that same area may react the same way.

Moral of the post...double check when shipping a muzzleloader to another state or county.

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back