• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shipping Restricted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Wanted to let everyone know that we can't ship BP guns direct to a buyer in the following areas. I got this information from a member of this forum who directd me to Old South Firearms and I verified the following states and cities with them. Washington DC, Ohio, Massechuttes (sp ?), Rhode Island, Deleware, New Jersey, NYC, Bronx, Kings, Statyen Island, Manhatten, NY, Queens, Richmond, Long Island, Illinois, Washington state, Michigan, Maryland & California. Don't ya just love it........................ If some of you live in these areas and know something on this please enlighten us so we don't violate the law.

Last edited:
Last I heard, BP (muzzleloaders) wern't classed as firearms in California. :confused: Been a while but when bought a muzzleloader off one of the auction sites, the dealer/gun owner said No Shipments to California.
I called and mentioned that in California they wern't classed as firearms. They shipped it and I got it in less than a week. ;)

I've lived in New York State all my life, we've never had restrictions on muzzle loading arms except in the 5 boroughs of New York City. I've purchased muzzle loaders with no background check, no federal forms, no dealer involvement at all. Has there been a change in NY law??

So Old South Firearms has the final say? Why not verify with the government agencies?
I would but it's Saturday and gov't agencies are not open. I contacted Old South and represented myself as wanting to buy a BP gun and have it shipped to me in Long Island. He said he couldn't because of local law, and I doubt that he'd lose a sale if he could ship. But, in reality I just sold a BP rifle to a guy in in Long Island and now I can't go thru with the deal. I'm just the messenger, Sir.

OK, Dixie is closed but I spoke to The Log Cabin Shop by phone just now and they told me they can't ship and it's because of local law, not federal law. They verified the list I published here.

I would but it's Saturday and gov't agencies are not open. I contacted Old South and represented myself as wanting to buy a BP gun and have it shipped to me in Long Island. He said he couldn't because of local law, and I doubt that he'd lose a sale if he could ship. But, in reality I just sold a BP rifle to a guy in in Long Island and now I can't go thru with the deal. I'm just the messenger, Sir.

I have known Lee Weyhrich (Owner of Old South Firearms) for years, his shop is 4 miles over the mountain from me.

Old South Firearms gives a more definitive list of restricted areas on his website under "Shipping Policy". Read below and compare to what you listed above.

Old South Firearms Shipping Policy
WARNING: Black powder firearms cannot be shipped directly to Canada, Ohio*, Washington D.C., Massachusets, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Delaware or New Jersey, See Footnotes for the following locatons: *New York City; Bronx, Kings, Staten Island, Manhattan, Nassau, New York, Queens, Richmond, Long Island **Illinois and Washington State ***Michigan and Maryland , *****California.

California: We will not ship firearms to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Santa Ana, Berkeley, Tiburon, Carson, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Oakland, Orange County, Marin County, Loyo County, Contra Costa County, Ventura County, or Napa County, except to an FFL dealer. Please check your local regulations for all other locations before ordering. It is your responsibility to know and understand the laws regarding firearms in your area.

* Will ship to the rest of New York State, contingent on state and local requirements.

** Illinois and Washington state: Will ship to a local FFL Dealer of your choice. Call before placing your order.

*** Michigan and Maryland: Revolvers may not be shipped, all other black powder firearms are OK with the exceptions of Annapolis and Baltimore.

*Ohio, we realize there is no law against black powder items, but your state sued Cabela's because a felon got a black powder gun. The case cost them millions. We don't have the money to even fight the state of Ohio.

For all other states, please review your state and local laws before ordering any blackpowder firearms.

The internet is open in Saturdays. You really need to check your local regulations, not take the word of a gun shop who may have their own rules to avoid a perceived hassle. And for what it is worth, I grew up in New York and that’s where I learned not to take any gun shop’s word on what is legal or not legal. They were wrong almost as often as they were correct on laws in different jurisdictions. It might be their policy, but doesn’t make it the law.

Stop being a DELETED. They arent considered guns in most states so who cares. Didnt we have a war over this manure?
Federal law is a minimum. State and local can always go more strict. Your language is inappropriate and making this recommendation is flat out wrong. You want warrants issued for your arrest in any of these states? Grow up and learn the laws. Go ahead and why don't you be the test case. Ship to one of these places and have ups, fedex or usps turn you in. Thank you two elks for the warnings. Better safe than the other outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm merely reporting what I've learned on line. You do what you want. I posted it in the for sale section since that is where it belongs. I'm not going to get cross wise with the local, state or federal government over a few hundred dollars, and I'm trying to help you do the same. Your reactions are typical for this site these days. If you can't appreciate that I'm trying to inform us all then take your caustic comments and try them on someone else. Some of you are very rude and insulting individuals and I don't have to deal with that either.

It sure isn't illegal here where i live in California. It is best if you check the law before you post things like that.
Worked part time in a gun store. Many dealers find it easier and safer to ship to a gun dealer as a policy. Probably one a week we handled this way as the recieving store. Let the gun dealer who knows the local laws ensure everyone is safe from any liability. We did not charge any fees as we did not have to log it, background check, nothing. Just call and hand it over to a happy customer. Why take a risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back