• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipping Percussion Revolver USPS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44-henry

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just curious what others experience is shipping percussion revolvers through USPS. I never used to have any issues, but I was going through the website today and it seems that the area that discusses antique firearms is cloudy at best when it comes to whether it is OK to ship a black powder handgun through the mail. Had a long (but pleasant) conversation with a local ATF rep and I had more questions when I got off the phone with him than I did when I started. Finally called TOW and asked them what their take was on it and they felt it was 100% legal and OK to ship through the post office since the BATF does not classify them as actual firearms.

Seems like the world has just gotten a lot more complicated in recent years, am I the only one that feels uneasy about shipping black powder firearms.

I agree, shipping BP guns through usps is scary business and thats why i NEVER use them. I use fedex or UPS and declare exactly whats in my box when i pay them for the service w\insurance. Never a problem.

I cringe when a seller gives me a USPS tracking number...the rules set by them are just too hazy...on the other hand i've received quite a few BP rifles and pistols via USPS with no troubles cept one..someone went through a box to check the contents evidently..then stuffed all the carefully wrapped cushioning in the end of the box leaving the 1850's rifle to bounce around on the duration of its trip..the hammer was snapped off somewhere between there and here. I thought the seller was at fault until i pulled all his carefully wrapped bubble stuff out of the end of the box and realized the rifle had been unwrapped...the box retaped. the rifle left to bounce. So USPS found the object "acceptable" i guess..but i still won't use them. J.

I just had a chat with the local postmaster. Long-guns and antiques can be sent USPS. No markings visible on outside of box.

Not sure that I would disclose the contents if it was a Post Office that wasn't familiar with me tho.

GW

Grey Whiskers said:
I just had a chat with the local postmaster. Long-guns and antiques can be sent USPS. No markings visible on outside of box.

Not sure that I would disclose the contents if it was a Post Office that wasn't familiar with me tho.

GW

I agree. They usually don't understand and sometimes just not worth the hassle. I'd just ship UPS instead if it's practical.

I have shipped numerous muzzleloaders via USPS no problems at all...and they knew what I was shipping. I started shipping USPS when both UPS and FEDEX refused to ship one for me. That was right after Sandy Hook and they were on red alert...the post office took it no problems.

Yup. I shipped over 15 guns in 2014 and nearly as many in 2013 without incident. I have never had anything but good fortune using USPS for shipping muzzleloaders. Nothing lost or broken, nothing. However, I crate them very good. My crates will cost from $50 to $75 to ship + insurance. It's not cheap but they always get to the customer in "as shipped" condition. The local post office knows me and what I'm shipping. They still ask if it's liquid or explosive but I think that's SOP.

Here in Iowa, last one I shipped I had to go through a dealer with ffl, usps or ups would not ship it. flinch

Tried shipping MLers by FedEx and they refused and wouldn't listen to any suggestions. Then shipped by UPS and they were very expensive....charged me $30 for one inch oversize in addition to the regular charge.

Tried to ship a flint LR by USPS and they refused....talked to the Postmaster and still couldn't get them to ship. Finally asked the PM if she would call the BATFE and get a clarification on what is classified as a firearm. She did that and requested a copy of the BATFE regs, inserted the regs into USPS reg book and shipped my LR.

Henceforth, no problems and they don't ask me what's in the crate....but do ask if anything is perishable, etc. They do know what I'm shipping.

Have shipped many MLers since then through USPS w/o a problem and the Mlers have arrived w/o damage......Fred

I have no problem shipping "reproduction antique flintlocks or percussion". I just don't use rifle, gun , or firearm on the shipping information. I have even used the USPS to ship a trade gun to Finland with no problems. :idunno: (The USPS was 1/3 what fedex or UPS wanted) :idunno:

USPS, Tell them to look in the DMM. Pre 1898 firearms or reproductions of. I used to use ups, it was always a hassle and had to get a supervisor up front to plead my case.
Nit Wit

If you get a copy of the USPS and BATF regs, you will see that it is perfectly legal to ship a cap and ball revolver or single shot pistol through USPS. They are considered to be antiques or curios rather than firearms. According to the USPS regs, any firearm that meets the BATF of "antique firearm" "sent as curios or museum pieces can be accepted for mailing without to regard to 11.1.3 through 11.1.6." Those cited paragraphs, 11.1.3 through 11.1.6 refer to mailing specifically handguns.

The USPS accepts the BATF definition with regard to which guns can be legally mailed through USPS.

BATF defines an antique firearm in 18 U.S.C. paragraph 921(a)(16) as:

(A) "Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

(B) any replica of any firearm described is subparagraph (A) if such replica-

I. is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or convential centerfire ammunition.

(C) any muzzleloading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzleloading pistol which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute and which cannot use fixed ammunication.

Just wrap it securely so that it is not damaged in transit and mail it in a good solid cardboard box. I use the Priority boxes supplied by the post office. They ask the usual litany of questions and I just truthfully answer "No" to all of them, insure the package and send it. They do not ask what specifically is in the box and I do not volunteer the info. And, thus, the problem of dealing with ignorant postal employees is avoided and no laws are broken.

Hi,
From a Canadian point of view USPS is GREAT, no problems, with more than a hundred deliveries.
UPS sucks! Over charges, do not deliver as agreed to, etc.
FED EX don't know never dealt with them.
I would suggest that you send a BP revolver in two shipments, a little more, yes.
But useless to a mail thief.
Even long guns sent in two packages ( different days ) are much safer sent.
Also when sent in two pieces ( packages ) they are only parts, hence exempt from most mail clerks opinions.
My advice, for what it is worth ( not much, says the wife )
Fred

Grey Whiskers said:

GW

FWIW, there is NO legal obligation for anyone to divulge the content of ANY parcel mailed through USPS, beyond truthfully answering the few contents mailability questions every Postal Clerk must ask everyone who is mailing said parcel.

Those questions currently are:

Are the contents fragile (I always answer "yes"), flammable, liquid, perishable, or explosive ?
Does the parcel contain any batteries or poison ?

Remember, even a fish would stay out of trouble, if it would only keep it's big mouth shut.

I would not ship through USPS although when I was in business and shipped through them there was never a problem - not the gun business though. UPS is the best way to ship, as long as your local folks understand the company rules. UPS, while it is quite expensive, does provide excellent tracking and other services to enable you to know when your gun arrives at its destination.

I received several cap and ball revolvers through usps, including from Cabelas.

My only experiences with FedEx involved guns broken in transit. One packages clearly had tire tracks on it.

One ups delivery, the driver left my gun and a shipment of copy paper stacked out in the rain with an open garage 20 feet away.

UPS is also the organization that came up with that awesome $25.00 charge to ship a handgun so they'd have money to pay for help to catch their own employees stealing. much cheaper than doin' a background check I guess.

I have used USPS to ship and have received many antique firearms with no issues. A pistol can fit in a flat rate box, no questions asked, except if it's explosive, so why not use them. I have used them for expensive antique rifles shipped in a plastic case with a cardboard overbox, insured to the hilt and tracked, no issues.

Back