Quantcast

shipping muzzle loaders

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

bob knab

32 Cal
Reaction score
i have two muzzle loaders to sell- what is necessary to sell and ship them on this forum
i live in Michigan - new here could find no information on selling and shipping my bad -
thanks - bob knab _____________________________________________

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In order to advertise your things on the forum, you must first be a member for over 14 days. You must also have at least 5 posts made by you on the forum.

I see from the date you joined us and the number of posts you've made, you qualify on both of these requirements.

Go to the Muzzle Loading Classifed ad section that best fits what your trying to sell. In your case, that would be the Firearms for Sale/Trade/ Wanted section.

Enter your post just like you would enter any post in the forum except select the proper heading for your offer from the FOR SALE, TRADE or WANTED choices.

Before you post, please read the CLASSIFIED GUIDELINES at the top of the index page. If you have more than one gun or item, make a separate ad for each one.

As for shipping, that's up to you. There are dozens of threads on the forum that discuss it. Put, "Shipping" into the forums Search engine and it will find them.

Muzzleloading guns and Cap & Ball pistols are not considered to be modern firearms so the Federal Government allows shipping them directly to a buyer. That is not quite true with the Post office. I understand they have rewritten some of their rules to rule out mailing pistols, both antiques and modern guns.
Also, some States have rules against shipping guns directly to someone living in their States.

As I said, there is a lot of discussion on the forum about this.

JB67

40 Cal
Reaction score
When you ship them, some advice:

1) Use good, sturdy boxes, with plenty of bubble wrap at each end
2) Remove the lock, wrap well, and place in the box separately.

I have received firearms with the barrel poking through the box, and one with the lock poking out the side of the box (not something you want to see on a Civil War gun.)

Dibbuk

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just my opinion: Pack the rifle as if it were going to be run over by a truck. For full-stock rifles, look at how Jim Kibler ships his rifles and kits. For half-stocks, remove barrel and lock, bag the lock, wedge key, screws, washers, etc. Wrap and tie everything together, and pack and pad with lots of packing and padding. Expect the box to be stepped on and dropped from about 15 feet, when getting tossed around.

bpd303

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I had a long gun shipped to me, with the most ingenious method of packing I have ever seen. The shipper had the sturdy cardboard box lined with plastic sheeting. Then he sprayed that canned foam insulation in and bedded the rifle sealed in plastic wrap in it before it hardened. Then it had another layer of plastic wrap over the rifle and the insulation sprayed in. The insulation completely filled the voids and held the rifle firmly without adding weight to the package and no damage to the rifle, even though there was evidence of rough handling.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm curious if the shipper just used your standard-sized cans of that foam or if you can get a larger cannister. That's a great idea and would eliminate the need to build a sturdy wood box, which is what I've done before shipping a gun.

bpd303

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure, I just recognized the foam, from using it to insulate our windows when I installed them. You got me to thinking and I Googled foam packaging and they now make packs to use that does what that seller did with the insulation foam. Looks easy to use.

Last edited:

Flinty Scot

40 Cal
Reaction score
They make a pistol-shaped applicator for insulation foam. I takes a 20 oz can (far larger expanded volume than what I call the 'shaving cream"DIY cans.

The big box stores have them now. Applicator/gun is c.$45.00 but a reusable tool. Cans of foam for it run about $10-15.

If you use this foam, I'd get the minimum expansion door/window formula. The 300% expansion foam might pre-open your box for you, if you aren't patient enough about sealing it.

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I had a long gun shipped to me, with the most ingenious method of packing I have ever seen. The shipper had the sturdy cardboard box lined with plastic sheeting. Then he sprayed that canned foam insulation in and bedded the rifle sealed in plastic wrap in it before it hardened. Then it had another layer of plastic wrap over the rifle and the insulation sprayed in. The insulation completely filled the voids and held the rifle firmly without adding weight to the package and no damage to the rifle, even though there was evidence of rough handling.
That's the way ToTW ships longguns.

Latest posts