• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shipping ml handgun in US Mail?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthFork

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I need to ship a single shot muzzleloading handgun (unloaded) back to a retailer. UPS is going to hammer me on shipping. Is it lawful to ship muzzleloader handguns through the US mail? I know it is NOT for modern smokeless cartridge handguns UNLESS they are being shipped to the manufacturer for repair. What about ml handguns back to retailers?

I need to ship a single shot muzzleloading handgun (unloaded) back to a retailer. UPS is going to hammer me on shipping. Is it lawful to ship muzzleloader handguns through the US mail? I know it is NOT for modern smokeless cartridge handguns UNLESS they are being shipped to the manufacturer for repair. What about ml handguns back to retailers?
it's completely legal except maybe in New Jersey. Pack it well in a box (double boxing it is best) and send it via USPS, no need to declare what it is and you can probably use one of their flat rate boxes.

Never mind. I was wrong. Just looked up the Fed law. No handguns through mail from unlicensed individuals, period. Which is curious as an unmentionable handgun company specifically asked that I ship the handgun back to them for repair via USPS a few years back. I guess I'll have to pay through my teeth at UPS.

Never mind. I was wrong. Just looked up the Fed law. No handguns through mail from unlicensed individuals, period. Which is curious as an unmentionable handgun company specifically asked that I ship the handgun back to them for repair via USPS a few years back. I guess I'll have to pay through my teeth at UPS.

You are dead WRONG!!!!

You can ship BP handguns via USPS, UPS, FEDEX or DHL

It is done every day. How do you think Dixie sends pistols or Taylor's and et al?

Those regs are for cartridge handguns only not for black powder (non-metallic cartidge)

As long as it’s not restricted locally wherever you’re sending it to it’s legal.

USPS flat rate boxes are your friend.

@FishDFly

I never said FedEx or UPS for Pete's sake! I said USPS/US Mail.

As for being dead wrong, here is the law under 432.2. I am not an "authorized person".

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
Excerpt from the regs:

‘Antique’ firearms need not be shipped to a licensed dealer. These can be shipped directly to the buyer. An antique firearm is a firearm built in or before 1898, or a replica thereof. The exact ATF definition of an antique firearm is:
Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Ive done it all the time. Depending who you ship it through sometimes they don't even ask what is in the box. In my experience it is always best to say that it is an "antique" pistol if you have to say it is anything at all. The second "pistol" gets mentioned you may get some looks.

@FishDFly

I never said FedEx or UPS for Pete's sake! I said USPS/US Mail.

As for being dead wrong, here is the law under 432.2. I am not an "authorized person".

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
Evidently you are unable to discern the difference between a modern "cartridge" firing handgun & a muzzleloading handgun. The BATFE doesn't even consider muzzleloading guns to be "firearms" and the USPS specifically says it's OK the ship BP muzzleloaders through them. There is a whole thread here covering all your questions. YES, you are DEAD WRONG!

Last edited:
@FishDFly

No, you didn't bother to read my post. I never said anything about any other shipper. Just the US Post Office. And Dixie Gun Works does not commonly ship firearms in the US Mail. They mostly use UPS. I should know, I buy enough from them. Your post was rude as was @Old Hawkeye . The other forum members were not. In fact others were helpful in pointing out my error like @kje54 did. Thanks kje54 and to the rest of the forum members who helped.

I mailed a flintlock pistol. All they asked was for me to disassemble it. I would ask the postmaster instead of a clerk.

Ship UPS store to store...they have to accept it, then you. If it is damaged... it is on them. Yes, you have to pay a premium but, worth every penny.

Back