• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipping gunstock blanks....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen this question asked before, but I want to be sure before I do anything and risk the ire of the USPS or risk damage/theft. A friend wanted to build a Kibler SMR and he chose to provide his own wood (which I'm giving him). He's already ordered the rifle and I need to get the curly cherry blank shipped for him. Unfortunately I don't have a box or crate this size and don't really wish to build a crate and increase the weight. Can I simply write the address on the blank itself and ship through USPS or will they give me grief? Is it reasonably safe to do so?

Thanks. I don't have a shipping label, can I just take it to the post office and have them create one with the addresses that I give them? Of course I can just as easily write the address on a piece of white paper and cover it with packing tape. Thoughts?

I don't have a UPS depot very nearby and don't really feel like going out of my way if it's only going to be $5 difference. Any idea what I can expect to pay to Ohio from northern PA via USPS or UPS? Standard SMR blank, so probably 5 pounds or more in its raw state.

Last edited:
Any idea what I can expect to pay to Ohio from northern PA via USPS or UPS? Standard SMR blank, so probably 5 pounds or more in its raw state.

All shippers (USPS, UPS, FEDEX, etc) have websites that will calculate shipping cost via plugging in the parcel specs (length, height, thickness & weight).

It may pay to drive it and deliver it face-to-face, meeting half way.

I've met with both buyers & sellers within 100 miles that way.

To be honest, halfway is probably 3 hours for me and I can't imagine that Jim Kibler has the time or any desire to be driving to pick up this gun blank. You're right, if it was just a private sale to someone or a transfer to a buddy, even with gas prices through the roof it might be worth meeting somewhere, but not in this case.

I should mention that it's a rather unique piece of curly cherry and I'm very anxious to see the finished product after it comes off of Jim's CNC machine.

Have shipped many blanks via USPS and just use a felt tipped marking pen, writing the address on the wood. The USPS clerk told me to write the info as if I were using a paper envelope......Fred

I've seen this question asked before, but I want to be sure before I do anything and risk the ire of the USPS or risk damage/theft. A friend wanted to build a Kibler SMR and he chose to provide his own wood (which I'm giving him). He's already ordered the rifle and I need to get the curly cherry blank shipped for him. Unfortunately I don't have a box or crate this size and don't really wish to build a crate and increase the weight. Can I simply write the address on the blank itself and ship through USPS or will they give me gIv e
I've received several stock blanks addressed like that over the years. No big deal to the P.O. or UPS.

I've seen this question asked before, but I want to be sure before I do anything and risk the ire of the USPS or risk damage/theft. A friend wanted to build a Kibler SMR and he chose to provide his own wood (which I'm giving him). He's already ordered the rifle and I need to get the curly cherry blank shipped for him. Unfortunately I don't have a box or crate this size and don't really wish to build a crate and increase the weight. Can I simply write the address on the blank itself and ship through USPS or will they give me grief? Is it reasonably safe to do so?
This reminds me of seeing those WW1 helmets that were mailed home as souvenirs back in the day; they'd put stamps and a glued-on label and mail the helmet! Maybe not real common, but older collectors will recall seeing them at one time.

This reminds me of seeing those WW1 helmets that were mailed home as souvenirs back in the day; they'd put stamps and a glued-on label and mail the helmet! Maybe not real common, but older collectors will recall seeing them at one time.
Maybe you could just wrap it securely in heavy shipping paper with lots of packing tape? I don't see why you couldn't just label and ship it as is, but all the people handling it on it's way might not "get" it.

I just shipped it at the local post office and they didn't say boo about it. It was $31 and change priority mail from northern PA to southern OH. Too much for sure, but not really any more than I expected at this point in time.

I have received blanks that were shipped with no packaging. One of three had a chunk busted out of the toe. Figure they will throw it around. IF you care, make a wooden box for it.

I don't have a UPS depot very nearby and don't really feel like going out of my way if it's only going to be $5 difference. Any idea what I can expect to pay to Ohio from northern PA via USPS or UPS? Standard SMR blank, so probably 5 pounds or more in its raw state.
You have a computer. You can use 'click and ship'. Quick and easy. And you can calculate cost before printing the label. Personally, I would not use UPS. The owner of the local store here gets freaked out with anything he even thinks is firearms related.

if it is just a rough plank, slap a shipping lable on it and hand it to your post person. notice the pc ?
if it is shaped some or drilled for a rr i would carton it.
i have received them both ways and have received them damaged both ways. you pays yer money and takes yer chances.

I carried a stock blank into my local post office a while back and the clerk freaked out and shouted "IS THAT A GUN! , I told her it was only a block of wood and she calmed down, talk about overreaction.

I carried a stock blank into my local post office a while back and the clerk freaked out and shouted "IS THAT A GUN! , I told her it was only a block of wood and she calmed down, talk about overreaction.

Sign of the times and the absolute stupidity of some people I guess. Thankfully, where I live carrying around a stock blank in public still doesn't raise an eyebrow. I dearly hope that it stays that way. That said, my wife and I recently purchased a seasonal retirement home in lake country down south and I wouldn't be as surprised to see a ridiculous reaction if I were to mail it down there.

Back