• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipping Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got done visiting with the postmasters of 5 different areas. NO shipping of ANY concealable firearms period. Does not matter if it is a wheel lock made in 1550, or a modern cap and ball copy. FFL to FFL only, don’t get caught trying to mail them. ATF rules DON’T matter, post office rules are totally different now, and they can do this. Yes, it’s stupid as hell, but that’s how it is. Enjoy court, losing your rights, and prison. So mail away all you want!

With all due respect, this is a muzzleloading forum, and muzzleloading guns (including handguns) are exempt/mailable.

Refer to the pertinent USPS Reg 431.2, here: https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm#ep344365

IME, most USPS clerks and Law Enforcement folks are NOT versed in US Federal Law - but some state/municipal laws have their own restrictions, so it's a good idea to check the laws in your own state/municipality for details.
Changed in August 2020 - you didn't read far enough, you may not use USPS for muzzleloading handguns:

432.2 Handguns
Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in this section, after the filing of an affidavit or statement described in 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following: a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3. b. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2, which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing between governmental museums without regard to the restrictions provided for handguns in 432.21 through 432.24 and Exhibit 432.25. c. Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1 and are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable, but must include Adult Signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations. d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C. e. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district

According to an acquaintance who retired from UPS, the same restrictions are going to hit UPS and fed ex at some point. They are concerned about lawsuits and want to cover their butts.

I'm an FFL and just learned something new. I didn't know USPS changed their policy on handguns being un-mailable, now I know. I won't confirm that I may have violated their policy a few times this year.

I ship via Fedex mostly, and although I have a good relationship with the clerks, they do often stray from corporate policy and make up their own depending on the scenario. The worst is the UPS/Fedex stores, often run by a Karen with a complex. Once had one act like shipping a rifle stock was the same as sending hand grenades to a elementary school.

When it comes to shipping a firearm, or a muzzleloader, don't use USPS. They suck, and get worse every month. Spend a little extra, and go Fedex or UPS, you'll spend a few bucks more, but you're going to get a better service.

Branden

With all due respect, this is a muzzleloading forum, and muzzleloading guns (including handguns) are exempt/mailable.

Refer to the pertinent USPS Reg 431.2, here: https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm#ep344365

IME, most USPS clerks and Law Enforcement folks are NOT versed in US Federal Law - but some state/municipal laws have their own restrictions, so it's a good idea to check the laws in your own state/municipality for details.
Heh... some gun shops aren't versed, either. I had one freak when I had an unmentionable rifle sent to him by USPS, claimed it was illegal. :rolleyes:

I'm an FFL and just learned something new. I didn't know USPS changed their policy on handguns being un-mailable, now I know. I won't confirm that I may have violated their policy a few times this year.

I ship via Fedex mostly, and although I have a good relationship with the clerks, they do often stray from corporate policy and make up their own depending on the scenario. The worst is the UPS/Fedex stores, often run by a Karen with a complex. Once had one act like shipping a rifle stock was the same as sending hand grenades to a elementary school.

When it comes to shipping a firearm, or a muzzleloader, don't use USPS. They suck, and get worse every month. Spend a little extra, and go Fedex or UPS, you'll spend a few bucks more, but you're going to get a better service.

Branden
UPS abuses packages and FedEx is a pain in the a$$ if you're not there to receive it. In short, they ALL have their problems, but the USPS is far more accessible to many, especially in rural areas.

I'm a retired mailman and the insurance is pretty much useless! Who would ever insure an item they have not inspected before it is shipped? If you are shipping new items and have receipts, maybe!
Nit Wit

Got done visiting with the postmasters of 5 different areas. NO shipping of ANY concealable firearms period. Does not matter if it is a wheel lock made in 1550, or a modern cap and ball copy. FFL to FFL only, don’t get caught trying to mail them. ATF rules DON’T matter, post office rules are totally different now, and they can do this. Yes, it’s stupid as hell, but that’s how it is. Enjoy court, losing your rights, and prison. So mail away all you want!
Again, read the USPS, UPS, FEDEX, REGULATIONS COMPLETELY....You are wrong;)

Ok, you got me! Go ahead and mail away! Have a great life, hope you have a good lawyer.
Partner, if that were true, there would be half the Country in GULAGS. Like I said, read the regulations completely. When you listen, and take for truth what may be lies, that's your bad. We still friends though? I like ya. :)

Well, we can agree or disagree, but it comes down to how the big wigs interpret the regulations. They say no concealable firearms at all, no matter the age or if they are not considered firearms by the ATF. I honestly don’t want to see anyone arrested over this, and see a 60 minutes episode about “ obsolete historical ghost gun trafficking “ ending up in more political persecution of our sport. Yes, friends it is!😀

Insurance? Has anyone ever heard of USPS paying an insurance claim?

Yes, I have. I won a gun on auction. They (a Gun Store) wrapped brown paper around it and put it in a box without any other packing material. The Toe busted through the box and was damaged. Too bad, it was an unfired 54 cal T/C Renegade in mint condition.

I went to my local gun shop and got an estimate for repair on their Letterhead. I filed the claim and submitted that documentation as well as photos of the damage. A wee bit later, I received a check from the Postal Service. I either fixed it my self or didn't, I can't remember. I relisted it and lowered the price the amount of the claim. It sold right away!

Again, read the USPS, UPS, FEDEX, REGULATIONS COMPLETELY....You are wrong;)
432.2 Handguns
Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in this section, after the filing of an affidavit or statement described in 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following: a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3. b. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2, which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing between governmental museums without regard to the restrictions provided for handguns in 432.21 through 432.24 and Exhibit 432.25. c. Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1 and are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable, but must include Adult Signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations. d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C. e. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district

And if you care to read further take a look at the thread I started some time ago. You CANNOT ship any handgun USPS unless you are a licensed dealer.

Burned by USPS | The Muzzleloading Forum

Last edited:
The worst part is these are not laws, but rules made by that particular department and as such do not follow the law. This makes their illegal rules have the power of the legislature in changeing laws. Stupid!

According to an acquaintance who retired from UPS, the same restrictions are going to hit UPS and fed ex at some point. They are concerned about lawsuits and want to cover their butts.
I can see the day when any and all 'firearms' regardless of date of manufacture, size, concealability, ignition, etc. will be prohibited from being shipped. I am actually surprised they haven't pushed this agenda yet. 'Trafficking' in flintlocks is causing mayhem across the US!

I can see the day when any and all 'firearms' regardless of date of manufacture, size, concealability, ignition, etc. will be prohibited from being shipped. I am actually surprised they haven't pushed this agenda yet. 'Trafficking' in flintlocks is causing mayhem across the US!
Yep, all it takes is a bit of outside pressure on Woke corporations to make them change their rules.

So, isn’t it trivial to temporarily convert a muzzleloading “firearm” into a “non-functioning replica” simply by soldering the vent closed, or replacing the liner with a plug? Would it help if you shipped the barrel and the rest of the gun separately?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back