• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shipping charges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder14

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is anyone else hesitant about ordering online do to the outrages down rite ridicules shipping charges.I was going to order a $4 part and the company wanted $11 shipping and these are the so called top company’s everyone deals with.I asked why cant you just put it in an envelope and a .50cent stamp it was a spring 1/8 inch long.Just got the usual company mumbo jumbo.These company’s put themselves out of business with there greed.OK got that off my chest.

That is why I absolutely do not order ANYTHING unless I have to... However sometimes I personally cannot produce a part I need and must sub come to the madness.

Been there....That's just the nature of the beast.

In situations like that I usually order several parts, "bundle" or find others people who need items to offset the shipping costs.
Sometimes you just have to "bite the bullet" though and accept it.

Some businesses calculate a labor rate into their shipping cost.

There are costs involved in packaging, labeling and shipping anything. A business has to recover those costs to stay in business. Personally, I balance it all before making a decision. Usually, the decision is made for me if I cannot purchase the item locally. That makes online ordering a blessing of our times.

How far are you going to drive to save $11? As I see or realize I want/need something I add it to my wishlist(s). When I absolutely have to have something, or maybe there is a sale, I place my order for the entire lot with the vendor.

As an example, my ”˜local’ Cables (ok, I agree there is little there for the traditional muzzleloader) is 150 miles round trip. If they had what I needed, can not imagine a three hour drive plus gas being worth less than a $11 shipping charge.

And one more thing to consider, no matter how large or small an order is, there are costs associated with getting that order out the door. Someone has to issue a pick, someone has to pull the item out of inventory, someone has to package it up, someone has to print and attach the label and get it to the shipping dock.

Kind of like Hazmat charges for powder.
They are cheaper than the tank of gas for me to go pick it up. Sucks they charge $30 or so bucks for paperwork but still cheaper that $50-60 for a tank of fuel and a day lost.

Many of the items used when building MLers are made by me, but various screws and bolts which aren't that expensive are bought for inventory along w/ all the components for each build....always looking for duplicate parts for future builds. So...to keep shipping costs down, some planning is req'd.

If one only builds one MLer, a comprehensive mat'l list should be made when it's in the planning stage so to avoid multiple orders w/ the attendant high shipping costs.

If one chooses to not plan a build and make out a mat'l list, then one suffers the high shipping charges.....Fred

Nothing wrong with venting once in a while. Glad to be here to read your frustration. :metoo: I suspect most of us share it.
The only way around it that I have figured out is to identify a better place to live that's more consistent with your interests, or identify a new interest that's more consistent with where you live now.
Where I am located, here on the East coast of Florida....I don't have to pay shipping for pretty much ANYTHING I need for my boat or offshore fishing. :thumbsup: OTOH...for my Traditional Muzzleloader interests...pretty much ANYTHING I need is going to be packed and shipped from somewhere FAR away. So be it and I consider myself truly blessed to be able to enjoy both. :grin:

Well it can be worse. Living in the middle of GOD's country requires us to order almost everything online. Nearest store of any substantial size is a 150 mile round trip. Sometimes I will forgo something though when the shipping is so outrageous that it's doesn't make sense unless it's something that I just absolutely have to have.

yes, $4 cost and $11 shipping for a spring they likely got wholesale for $0.66 is absolutely outrageous.
it's also the way EVERYTHING is nowadays....
either find a vendor with free/reduced shipping.....or look locally for an old Mom-n-Pop hardware store that may have the same spring but for a different purpose.

Here in west central Florida it's hard to find any Mom&Pop stores anymore. 20 years ago was a lot different and I could find just about anything I needed in just a short drive. There's a BP-dedicated store in Orlando that used to be a one-stop proposition, but after the original owner retired they're a faint shadow of what they used to be. However just last year I ran across one of a handful of Ace Hardware's that still sold firearms. I found CCI musket caps there for $1.95/100. Yeah I know, they're CCI's, but at that price I couldn't pass. Bought all 34 tins they had.

I have no problem getting #10 or #11 caps, but for a musket I need the big winged caps. Back in my reenacting days I ran the RWS caps exclusively. But it's no longer easy to find them locally. But with the CCI's, so far so good. I only shoot straight black so the higher ignition temps of the substitutes are not an issue.

I have no problem getting #10 or #11 caps, but for a musket I need the big winged caps. Back in my reenacting days I ran the RWS caps exclusively. But it's no longer easy to find them locally. But with the CCI's, so far so good. I only shoot straight black so the higher ignition temps of the substitutes are not an issue.
I use cci caps for years and they work great. That's about all we have around here to buy. Mark/WI

Latest posts

Back