• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shipping Caps to Alaska

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone here shipped percussion caps to Alaska? I'm just curious what the hazmat fee would be. I have enough caps to last a little while and hoping they show up on the shelves here before I have to look elsewhere. Looking like most of the suppliers in the States are out of stock as well.

It's going to be tough! There is no "ground shipment" coming to AK. Powder, Primers, etc. can't be sent by air. I've heard stories about people having their "stuff" shipped to Washington to be placed on a barge coming up. I don't know how it works. In the Valley, SWH was the last place I saw caps, long ago and I think they were in stock only for a day or two.

Good luck!

Thanks. That's been my experience here in Fairbanks. Both SW and Frontier Outfitters said they haven't been able to get caps for a long time and they went fast back when they had them. I chose a caplock over a flintlock for my first muzzleloader since components for it would be easier to get in AK than real black powder. Such seems to be no longer the case.

When I lived in Haines there were times when we got a few guys together and had a large order of powder, primers, and lead shot shipped up on the barge. As I recall the shipping costs were based on a hundred weight. If we went over 100 lbs the rate went up to the rate for 200 lbs so we had to watch out for that. It was expensive but a large order brought the cost down to where we could afford it. I don't remember how the hazmat fee was calculated.

Next time I see caps ill grab you a couple tins!
Thanks! I'm probably okay, Always nice to get a little more when they're available but I have six tins of caps plus several loaded cappers. It's probably wildly optimistic to think I'd go through more than that this coming summer although I'm planning to do quite a bit of shooting since I drew a Moose hunt and want to have the GPR and myself properly tuned in. Might also opt for using the BB Carbine if I can get proficient with that.

When I lived in Haines there were times when we got a few guys together and had a large order of powder, primers, and lead shot shipped up on the barge. As I recall the shipping costs were based on a hundred weight. If we went over 100 lbs the rate went up to the rate for 200 lbs so we had to watch out for that. It was expensive but a large order brought the cost down to where we could afford it. I don't remember how the hazmat fee was calculated.
Thanks. That's an option I've been considering, although it seems like all the suppliers of caps I've checked out in the States are advertising that they're sold out and to not bother backordering.

Latest posts

Back