• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED SHIPPING BOX

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to a electrical lighting store get 2 matching boxes 6”x8”x48” long approx. splice together for your needed length. Again approx 60” long after spliced. Get packing from same place wrap that gun in 3or 4 layers bubble wrap. tape in place. I have done this dozens of times. Cheap and easy. Pack the box in paper or other like bubble or sheet foam. Packing a tight box so rifle doesn’t shift or crushed from void in box is key to safe shipped gun Just my 2 penny’s worth. Rick

Yep. Place like say Butler supply. Crescent parts. Even a Lowe’s Shop lights are good size for gun box. Not them cheap 12$ shop light. The quality commercial lighting stores I ship dozens of guns. That is what I use.

You may also consider two strips of 1/2 plywood along the insides of the box perhaps stapled with some heavy staples in place to help protect against crushing, bending some of them shipping boys are like gorillas with handling items.

I use furring strip sides and plywood top and bottom. I use box nails and glue to fasten the bottom and sides together then screw the plywood top in place. Thick pink insulating foam holds the gun in place fore and aft and side to side. It also resists compression.

I have shipped and received several long guns (muzzleloaders) in well-packaged cardboard boxes. However, two years ago, I shipped two longrifles at the same time, I thought very well packed. One arrived broken. Badly broken. It was insured. To make a long story short, Fed Ex paid me a lowball price for a really nice rifle. It was time-consuming, a major pain, and a financial loss.

I received a Hawken fullstock from John Bergmann since then, and he shipped it in a wooden crate filled with foam, for a cutout for the rifle. It arrived in perfect shape. John understandably wanted his crate back, so I returned it, but building one of those from 1 x 4 (I think... might have been a little wider) for the ends and sides, and 1/4" or 3/8" plywood for top and bottom, would be easy for anyone with basic carpentry skills. I'm not sure where to get the foam, but I expect JoAnn's might have it. If I ship another long gun, I will build a crate like that for it.

*The first thing I would recommend is to watch Bob McBride's video (see post #8).

*Take multiple photos of your rifle before you pack it.

*Insure it for a realistic amount. If you spend the money for $10,000 worth of insurance for a $1,500 rifle, you're still not going to get more than the rifle is worth, and you'll probably get less, as I did.

*Do a search on this forum for threads related to shipping guns. The topic of shipping was covered fairly extensively, just recently.

Good luck! Like I said, I have sent and received a number of guns that were packed with newspaper in cardboard, and they got through fine, but I learned the hard way that you sure can't count on it. Be a pessimist. Plan for the worst.

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back