• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shipping box/case

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have a resource for muzzleloader shipping box or hard case. Primarily need items in the plus 64in long range for full size long gun. Want something that is regulation for UPS, FedEx, USPS.

I've made my own m/l shipping boxes from thin paneling wood and 1/2 inch pine , screwed together w/drywall screws. After building an expensive rifle , I refuse to have it damaged in a cardboard container. Have sent them to Colo., Tex. , and Utah , w/no problem. Just make sure the person receiving the box has an operable drill driver to remove the screws. Last one I shipped to Colo. cost insured about , $68.. I went to the ups station ,and interviewed the young girls there about how they would pack the merchandise for shipping. They only had two golf club boxes to tape together end to end , I said , no thanks ..............oldwood

Very well made
And EXPENSIVE too! :eek:

If it's just for a "one time ship" consider a pool noodle from Wally World or black pipe insulation.
Barrel only=pool noodle.
Fore arm= black pipe insulation.
Shipped one cross country and it arrived in perfect shape.
$3 or $4, split it down the middle and wrap it around the barrel/fore end. Zip ties keep it in place. Snip,snip and it's open for business.
Bubble wrap the butt area and fold a box around it. And you just saved yourself $350.00 + the extra shipping cost.
$5 or $10 in packing tape is better than $350.00 any day.
And USPS makes a 3' long 4"x 4" box that's perfect for a padded fore arm. Add another padded section up to the lock.
When not in use, a long soft case hanging on a hook protects your rigs.

Last edited:
And EXPENSIVE too! :eek:

If it's just for a "one time ship" consider a pool noodle from Wally World or black pipe insulation.
Barrel only=pool noodle.
Fore arm= black pipe insulation.
Shipped one cross country and it arrived in perfect shape.
$3 or $4, split it down the middle and wrap it around the barrel/fore end. Zip ties keep it in place. Snip,snip and it's open for business.
Bubble wrap the butt area and fold a box around it. And you just saved yourself $350.00 + the extra shipping cost.
$5 or $10 in packing tape is better than $350.00 any day.
And USPS makes a 3' long 4"x 4" box that's perfect for a padded fore arm.
When not in use, a long soft case hanging on a hook protects your rigs.

You did read the part about needing it for a gun 64" long correct?
Long gun cases to ship in are not cheap, at least the good ones are not, but you pay your money and you take your chances.

I bought a Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle in 32cal from a well-known member here. It arrived in a cardboard box wrapped in 2 or 3 sheets of bubble-wrap with a few air-paks tossed in the box. The hammer was sticking out a hole in the box but luckily the gun was unharmed.

So, if I was to ever have to ship one I believe I would do as oldwood says.

My opinion and yer welcome to it.

You did read the part about needing it for a gun 64" long correct?
Correct. And yes I did! That's why I mentioned a "one time ship".
Seems like a BUNCH of $$$ for shipping compared to a less expensive means. BUT, it's your $$$ so do with it as you please, and you should. ;):D
And a box with the hammer sticking out wasn't packed properly!!:(
I know for a fact that I could pack it well enough and it would get where it's going in perfect condition without any issues. If you're going to do something, do it right or don't bother. :)

Last edited:
Something I might try if I needed to ship: 8 inch pvc pipe. Cut to appropriate length. Bubble wrap and maybe styro peanuts. Glue on caps. Or attach with multiple short screws. Mark muzzle end for recipient to cut (carefully).

Correct. And yes I did! That's why I mentioned a "one time ship".
Seems like a BUNCH of $$$ for shipping compared to a less expensive means. BUT, it's your $$$ so do with it as you please, and you should. ;):D
And a box with the hammer sticking out wasn't packed properly!!:(

When I ship guns in gun cases they always get returned so I use them again and again for packing for vacation etc. etc.

Crate it up with wood/plywood (although the pvc is interesting), it's not worth getting the gun damaged. I have worked for 2 of the big 3 carriers in the US at one point or another, an I will tell you that the manner in which parcels are handled is appalling, to say the least. I like it when customers to also get a storage case as well, so that way it's double protected in transit (I'd much rather replace a box than a gun lol).

Something I might try if I needed to ship: 8 inch PVC pipe.
Still got the butt end to deal with.
I DO use PVC pipe for my center fire barrel storage. Don't think I've ever shipped in one.
Sent a few barrels up north for machine work.
Pool Noodles, zip ties and a USPS 3" by 3" box 36" long got the job done. Made the trip a couple of times before I retired them.

I made a PVC container for my flintlock using 4" PVC, caps, and a 4-to-6" 22 1/2 degree elbow adapter to accommodate the buttstock angle. I already had the 4" PVC, so the other parts were a worthwhile expense to complete the project. I didn't make it for shipping purposes (It is quite heavy), although I suspect it would hold up pretty well under abuse; I made it primarily for long-term storage.

Kibler uses the plywood box idea to ship. His guns aren’t cheap. Received two so far with no damage . With the cost of plywood , a couple of 1x12 pine boards may be cheaper to build with.

Anyone have a resource for muzzleloader shipping box or hard case. Primarily need items in the plus 64in long range for full size long gun. Want something that is regulation for UPS, FedEx, USPS.

I have have bought two guns from TOW - they came in heavy cardboard boxes & were encased in expanding closed cell foam. TOW wrapped the guns in cellophane & foamed first one side & then the other side so the gun could be lifted out without disturbing/cutting the foam. A builder I know uses a pair of 1x4s and 1/4" ply to make a sturdy but reusable shipping container.

Back