• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shipping a Used Powder Flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Safety....no... it is empty. Do not mention it to the shipper. IT is just copper and steel. There is no danger at all.

Safety of the flask? Absolutely. Many shippers treat things very roughly. Flasks are fragile. Definitely use a sturdy oversized box and lots of padding. Figure they will run it over with a skip loader, they probably will.

Walk.....First ,check w/ the post office in Canada ,assuming there is no problem w/shipping something labeled "powder flask", If it has actually had powder in it , but has been emptied completely , it may still have detectable powder residue , dust , inside. A tablespoon of coarse sand shaken in it a couple times should remove most powder residue , if post office declares residue as a problem. You never know how kookie some laws are written. I wouldn't just ship it w/o researching the rules. M/l catalogs have flasks to buy new and there is no restrictions on shipping them. ..oldwood

Or just do the same as a rifle barrel. Hot soapy water, let it dry. Everybody who sells flasks sends them through the mail as they are clean and dry.

Last couple of times I shipped something Canada Post was only asked if it was hazardous. A few times before they asked what it was. Maybe the local ladies were just curious then, maybe they're not allowed to ask for specifics now.

Could be a bit of a crapshoot if they find out what you're shipping. Calgary Gun Show is not allowed to have any BP inside the building, go outside for purchase and walk around building to put in your vehicle. Guy had a display can which had a few grains in it (try and get it all out), security person lost their mind over it. Somebody higher up in the food chain finally told them to take a chill pill.

I don't think there is a difference between a flask and a horn as far as shipping goes. I have shipped many horns with out any problems. Just leave the word powder off if any one asks what is in the package.

As long as it is empty it’s not hazardous. Can you ship a used powder measure? Or a used muzzleloader? Received a used muzzleloader barrel from Canada a few years ago. The package was clearly marked that it contained a muzzleloader barrel. Arrived in North Carolina without issue.

And sometimes it does happen to have something in it - still no issue.
I received a used muzzleloader through the US Mail that was still loaded.
The package was clearly identified on the insurance as a used muzzleloader (brand and type)
Not to worry, just mark it as a flask - if they ask, tell them it contains no alcohol, let them think what they will, you are legal.

To be safe i'd wash it out with water. Then you can honestly say there's no powder in it.

Back