• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shipping a Muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickKlem

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have acquired two BP rifles. I will be selling one of them soon. I am trying to figure out what I am allowed to do legally? Meaning can I ship a TC Hawken using USPS or UPS? If so do I have to inform USPS or UPS that it is a firearm? I am guessing that I will remove the barrel and wrap it in bubble wrap but same container.
Also does Paypal allow payment transactions for BP rifles?

What have some of you done to ship?
Thanks
Rick

You can ship USPS without any problems as long as it is legal for the buyer to own a gun at his location. You don't have to tell them what is in the package and they cannot ask what the contents are except to ask if it contains any items that are on the PO's list ( https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm ). I have always used the Post Office and find it cheaper and safer.

I use the USPS on a fairly regular basis to ship muzzleloaders. Package them well and most definitely DO NOT TELL WHAT IT IS IN THE BOX OR HAVE ANYTHING WRITTEN ON IT AS TO WHAT’S IN IT!

hawkeye2 said:
You can ship USPS without any problems as long as it is legal for the buyer to own a gun at his location.

Not quite...………………….. Muzzleloaders can be shipped anywhere (period) w/o any comebacks on the seller.

It's incumbent upon the BUYER to know and observe the law(s) in their city/state of residence, and not the seller.

I ship USPS Priority using the 7" thick foam filled double-wall cardboard boxes from TOTW. My small town postmaster doesn't care what it is as long as the measurements are good. I tell him I'm shipping a muzzleloader and he just says "Where to." However, I don't live in one of the fascist controlled states. One fellow said he writes : FRAGILE CONTAINS OPTICAL EQUIPMENT" on the boxes.
The Fedex lady drove up with a long box one day and just said "It looks like you bought another rifle." and laughed.

Just shipped two today via US Postal.

Adult Signature is a crock and isn't required. Dixie shipped me a $1400 musket and UPS guy dropped it off on my porch .

I find FedEx to be cheaper than USPS nowadays.. At least here in southeast Oregon.

When selling/shipping a muzzleloader. you are better to send the lock another day. That way the gun is not functional, and hence it is only "a wood carving with metal parts". And that is all you have to say, what is inside mailed package.
The lock is " machined metal parts "
It cost a little more, but you are safer.
Ship it with a tracking number and signature, and you know where the item is.
Take pictures of the item as you box it up. Make sure the day's date is seen in the pictures.
That way you have a valid claim if something should go wrong with the shipper.
Remember, insurance is cheap, as compared to the price of the item you are sending.
Fred

When selling/shipping a muzzleloader. you are better to send the lock another day. That way the gun is not functional, and hence it is only "a wood carving with metal parts". And that is all you have to say, what is inside mailed package.
The lock is " machined metal parts "
It cost a little more, but you are safer.
Ship it with a tracking number and signature, and you know where the item is.
Take pictures of the item as you box it up. Make sure the day's date is seen in the pictures.
That way you have a valid claim if something should go wrong with the shipper.
Remember, insurance is cheap, as compared to the price of the item you are sending.
Fred

********!!!! Don't be throwing around this total manure like your some expert!!!!!

USPS is a mixed bag. I have had a lovely curly maple gunstock sent to me, that the sender shipped in a modern rifle box. You could clearly see the footprint of the anti gun jackass who deliberately Stomped the box in the middle, shattering the stock just above the entry thimble. I also had a few longrifle ramrods sent from TOTW that arrived broken. Track graciously replaced them at no charge. Now I have a curly maple canoe gun stock and ramrods for same. I recently sent a canoe gun to a gentleman out west, by USPS and I insured it for $1000. The girl at the counter said 'What's in the box that is worth 1000 bucks?' I said 'Artwork in steel and wood' She said 'Are you sure?' I said Yes ma'am; if this does not arrive intact, it will be $1000 for the merchandise, the cost of me building another, and the damage to my relationship to my client, and shipping and etc.' Needless to say, THAT package arrived ok.

A ML can be shipped with USPS without restriction. I built one for my BIL and the lady said no rifles but she checked the regs and it was legal. BP and antique guns get a break.

You fellas are so good it is unreal. Why I love you since you are civil. I am cussed at with every post on a few sites it is crazy. I really mean cussing. Even the "F" word.
Nothing any of you say disturbs me. One site never responds to me as I am on the ignore list so I have 1000 posts never acknowledged.
Be kind and get the answers first.

You could clearly see the footprint of the anti gun jackass who deliberately Stomped the box in the middle,

Dang, I have trouble telling the different footprints between a buck or a doe sometimes. Amazing tracking ability to clearly see the footprint of an anti gunner. What's the secret- is it always a Left footprint?

Taking the lock out is what the Canadian people do when they ship to the US. It's just a way to end around Customs.

Major , multi billion $ companies like Dixie have no issues shipping a complete muzzleloader to my door so neither should Joe Sixpack.

A USPS employee told me that it takes forever to get your $$ back on a claim and anything under $500 isn't even really followed up on. I got burned years ago on a $300 Money Order and apparently they've been "investigating " since 2012.

A tracking number will give you proof that you shipped "something " but if the buyer claims he opened the box and found 10 lbs of rocks then it becomes your word against his and local LE generally isn't gonna waste their time on a missing muzzleloader.

It's a leap of faith , any way you slice it,as a buyer or a seller. I stopped using GunBroker as a seller because 1 out of 2 buyers gave me such a hard time that I just figured, its easier to just bury the guns I dont want anymore in the back of the safe and wait to use them as trade fodder.

No need to ship the gun in parts or try to fool the system....just protect it well and go USPS. I shipped an underhammer recently and it arrived safely and quickly. I shipped a .22 rifle to Alaska, with a copy of the guy's C&L license, although not totally necessary (according to him.) Took forever to get there, but it arrived safely.

Back