Shipping a Muzzleloader?

Discussion in 'Percussion Rifles' started by RickKlem, Jul 17, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jul 18, 2019 #21

rickystl

rickystl

rickystl

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Another advantage I found with USPS is that their trucks travel seven days a week, including holidays. Shipments usually arrive a day sooner than UPS-Ground and 1-2 days sooner than FED-X Ground.
    USPS used to be less expensive than the others (and still is for overseas). But recently I've noticed their rates have risen close to the others. But that 7 day a week truck travel does make a difference in delivery time.

Rick

SamTex1949 likes this.
  2. Jul 18, 2019 #22

Grimord

Grimord

Grimord

Fyrstyk MLF Supporter

I use the boxes that 4 foot and 8 foot fluorescent light bulbs come in when I ship a long rifle. If the gun can be broken down I use the 4 footers, if a pinned gun I use the eight footers and cut down as required. I get packing bubble wrap from staples, and use styrofoam blocks on either end of the box. I also use plenty of packing tape to make the delivery service happy. So far no problems.

3. Jul 18, 2019 #23

EC121

EC121

EC121

40 Cal.

I bought one rifle from Track and bought a couple more rifles from other folks who had saved the boxes. I think you can call Track and buy an empty one. They spray the box with hard expanding foam and squish the plastic covered rifle into it. It makes a form fitting pocket in the foam. A top and bottom plate made from cheap paneling put inside the box would make a really strong container.

4. Jul 19, 2019 #24

Sinner

Sinner

Sinner

40 Cal.

Yup, no need to remove any parts. The only possible reason to remove anything would be the barrel, but shipped together, to make the overall length less, and thus shipping less. That obviously won't make a difference with a full length stocked rifle, and I certainly don't recommend it to save a few dollars.
    I'm not any expert either, but have shipped quite a few rifles over the years. My only broken one was through USPS, very similar to Treestalker's experience.
    Pick your prefered shipper, and pack it well.
    I have heard that if you take it to UPS, they will pack it and ship it, and no hassles if it arrives broken...

5. Jul 19, 2019 #25

Poboy

Poboy

Poboy

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

I have bought a few guns off of this site. Trust me, you can mail the heck out them, COMPLETELY assembled!

6. Jul 19, 2019 #26

Poboy

Poboy

Poboy

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

One last thing: muzzleloaders are NOT considered firearms. In other words, same thing as shipping an air rifle.

7. Jul 19, 2019 #27

F.G. Ford

F.G. Ford

F.G. Ford

62 Cal. MLF Supporter

It is really a shame that some people can be so illiterate ( improper grammar, can't spell, vulgar and most of all, being so impolite )
    This forum is noted for it's friendly nature and informative help.
    Sadly people like the above post show their true nature.
    Fred

8. Jul 19, 2019 #28

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

40 Cal.

At least we know who to turn to when we need an expert.

9. Jul 19, 2019 #29

Poboy

Poboy

Poboy

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

Sorry to disappoint, but I CAN spell, I'm a very intelligent individual,, and I don't need anyone dissing me.

Scoper05 likes this.
  10. Jul 19, 2019 #30

Poboy

Poboy

Poboy

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

BTW....I really don't mean to be disrespectful on this forum. I just don't like misinformation.

Scoper05 likes this.
  11. Jul 19, 2019 #31

RickKlem

RickKlem

RickKlem

32 Cal

All of this is good information. I was thinking of breaking down just the barrel but shipping in same box so that it will be shorter/ less cost to ship. I just didn't know if it was legal to ship using USPS but it sounds as if it is okay.

If the buyer is a felon or it is illegal for them to own the gun, and I sell it to them , can the law come looking for me? Is it my responsibility to check the person out and if so how? I would guess that the answer is no, I am not liable for the legality of the buyer.

Thanks
    Rick

12. Jul 19, 2019 #32

akaMOTU

akaMOTU

akaMOTU

32 Cal MLF Supporter

Current Federal law (despite the wishes of some politicians) does not require a background check for private transactions (even for modern weapons). Your only restriction (as I understand it) is where the buyer is located (local gun buying restrictions, etc.).

As always, I quick call to your local PD or sheriff's office will answer any questions.

13. Jul 20, 2019 #33

Gene L

Gene L

Gene L

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

I agree with Poboy. Ship the damn thing and don't get cagey because there is no need. Your local PD or SO won't know since it's a USPS jurisdiction.

14. Jul 20, 2019 #34

Daniel Kaylor

Daniel Kaylor

Daniel Kaylor

32 Cal

Just go ahead and ship it !!!

15. Jul 23, 2019 #35

Pete44ru

Pete44ru

Pete44ru

45 Cal.

Actually, I've mailed (USPS) several different muzzleloading long guns w/o damage via dismounting the barrel, then bubble wrapping the bbl and the stock separately - then mailing them in a delta-shaped tube (available FREE from USPS).

One a couple, I had the remove & wrap the hammer so the assembly would slide into the box.

Also, pad the inside of both tube ends to preclude the bbl or butt from breaking through the end during any rough handling.

[​IMG]