• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipboard Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olgriz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In April my wife and I visited my 99 year old Uncle on his birthday. While we were in Eureka there were two tall ships in the harbor. One was the Lady Washington, a copy of a merchant vessel whose keel was layed around 1750, and the first Yankee trader to call in the Pacific Northwest.
The other was the Lynx, a copy of a two masted Balitmore Clipper Schooner, of the type that was use by the Americans as a "privateer" during the war of 1812. For further information and pictures of the ships, go to the "General" section. The Lady Washington is armed with 2 three pounders midships, and two swivel guns aft. The first picture shows one of the three pounders.
LdyWshGun1.jpg

The next picture shows a close up of the same gun. Note the lead cover over the vent. This is called the "apron."
This is to keep the powder dry. The commands that involved firing the guns on a war ship, among others went like, "Remove Apron" "Prick and prime" "Replace apron" Then when it comes down to actually firing, the orders were, "Remove Apron" "Gunners, blow your matches" "Fire"
I don't remember all the commands involved, but you have to remove the restraints, load, roll the gun into battery and after firing you swabbed the bore, and loaded. All together there were 11 commands to fire one shot. I just don't remember the wording of all of them.
LdyWshGun2.jpg

The next photo is the swivel on the Lady Washington.
LdyWshGun3.jpg

Because I can only post 5 pictures at a time I'll do another post for the guns on the Lynx.

Really neat, thanks. Im starting to dabble in "age of sail" history, ships, battles and tactics. Its very interesting stuff.

Jeff

For some great history on diverse cannon and naval warfare, check out "The Confident Hope of a Miracle: The True History of the Spanish Armada" by Neil Hanson. 490pp.

I can't help but think that the stern chaser looks like a popgun, with a cork ready to shoot.

Back